Sediment in Beer Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JrinkingBeer

Reaction score
After my beer has finished fermenting in the fermentor a fare bit of sediment gathers at the bottom of the container. For my last two batches, as I bottle the beer, some of that sediment gets into the bottles. 1) is the bad? 2) what is a good way of preventing that from happening?

Not bad at all, it'll settle in the bottom of the bottle. I would not try to pick up any trub but sometimes it's inevitable.

To prevent trub pickup, I rack very carefully and usually leave a little beer in the bottom of the fermenter once I start seeing my auto-siphon start picking some up.

Getting trub into your bottling bucket is not a problem, just makes for a beer with a little more sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Just don't be greedy and siphon off the top of the fermenter leaving behind the trub and a little good beer. Also make sure you give the yeast to drop out during fermentation. When you think the beers done, let it go another week and/or cold crash before bottling.

If your carbing in the bottle with sugar or DME there is no way around preventing yeast from collecting on the bottom of the bottle. Just refrigerate and pour slowly, leaving the sediment behind.

After my beer has finished fermenting in the fermentor a fare bit of sediment gathers at the bottom of the container. For my last two batches, as I bottle the beer, some of that sediment gets into the bottles. 1) is the bad? 2) what is a good way of preventing that from happening?

No it is not bad to have cloudy beers. But every beer taster has their own preferences and druthers.
For myself and many others, using the secondary transfer is a way to compensate. I know - many will say that it is not necessary. But I do in almost every instance. There is still sediment at the bottom of a secondary - but is almost nothing in comparison. It makes it easier for me to deliver clear beer to the bottles.

You can deal with it in various ways. First and foremost - stay clear of the trub and stop delivering to bottles before it happens. Second, increase the wait time in primary beyond the minimum time for FG stabilization - it will eventually clear with excess time. Third - improve technique with fining agents to accelerate clearing. And lastly, just transfer to secondary and reduce the concentrations of yeast and trub.

If you bottle condition your beers you will always het some yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottles. It is just a part of the process. After a few. weeks and the beers are carbed up, put them in the fridge for several days. The longer in the fridge the tighter the yeast will cake to the bottomof the bottle. Pour carefully into a glass leaving the sediment behind.

Enjoy.

All the above comments are great advice. I rack into a bottling bucket and then bottle from that. When I get to the last 1-2 bottles that are likely to contain the most sediment, I cap them and label them with a star and reserve them for myself. After a proper conditioning period and a good long chill (several days to a week) and a careful pour even these aren't too bad.

It also helps to back-light the bottle as you pour so you can see when the sediment dislodges and starts making its way up to the neck of the bottle - you can stop pouring right when the sediment would otherwise go into your glass. Very little beer is wasted, let me assure you.

The other bottles have so little sediment and it is usually so firmly settled that you can pretty much pour it out like any other beer without too much worry.

I have had one batch of bottling and it went quite well until I got close to the bottom of the bottling bucket. The last few bottles had some of the trub and it was BAD!

So, my experience says don't bottle trub.
JMHO

I have had one batch of bottling and it went quite well until I got close to the bottom of the bottling bucket. The last few bottles had some of the trub and it was BAD!

So, my experience says don't bottle trub.
JMHO

Wait. They do have a legitimate purpose. Those are the bottles you give to the jerk at work who has been going on and on about how Bud Light is better than home brew.

He'll drink those and feel vindicated.:ban:

Wait. They do have a legitimate purpose. Those are the bottles you give to the jerk at work who has been going on and on about how Bud Light is better than home brew.

He'll drink those and feel vindicated.:ban:

He'll also feel something else later when the yeasties get back to work in the 98.6° F environment of his GI tract :eek:

All the above comments are great advice. I rack into a bottling bucket and then bottle from that. When I get to the last 1-2 bottles that are likely to contain the most sediment, I cap them and label them with a star and reserve them for myself. After a proper conditioning period and a good long chill (several days to a week) and a careful pour even these aren't too bad.

It also helps to back-light the bottle as you pour so you can see when the sediment dislodges and starts making its way up to the neck of the bottle - you can stop pouring right when the sediment would otherwise go into your glass. Very little beer is wasted, let me assure you.

The other bottles have so little sediment and it is usually so firmly settled that you can pretty much pour it out like any other beer without too much worry.

Thunder Chicken,
You may have nailed it - I wonder if the OP is using a bottling bucket. Great advice all the way ! :)

Thunder Chicken,
You may have nailed it - I wonder if the OP is using a bottling bucket. Great advice all the way ! :)

Thanks! I try. :mug:

When I got back into brewing I tried just bottling straight out of primary with the theory that it would simplify the process. But unless you have a really good flocculating yeast and have given it a good long primary to settle out, and got your racking procedure down pat, then it always seemed that inadvertently siphoning sediment (perhaps a lot of sediment) straight into a bottle was too possible. And there isn't a lot you can do about sediment once you see it in the hose headed toward your bottle.

Bottling bucket is the way to go. It is an extra step but everything runs much more smoothly during bottling when you know you don't have to worry about disturbing sediment.

Thanks! I try. :mug:

When I got back into brewing I tried just bottling straight out of primary with the theory that it would simplify the process. But unless you have a really good flocculating yeast and have given it a good long primary to settle out, and got your racking procedure down pat, then it always seemed that inadvertently siphoning sediment (perhaps a lot of sediment) straight into a bottle was too possible. And there isn't a lot you can do about sediment once you see it in the hose headed toward your bottle.

Bottling bucket is the way to go. It is an extra step but everything runs much more smoothly during bottling when you know you don't have to worry about disturbing sediment.

Sounds very familiar. The steeping grains have always left a large amount of floaters and trub in my brews, and BIAB in a much bigger way. It has been tricky to work around it as I head to the bottle. No wonder there are so many questions about it. :tank:

Back