Looking for a Georetown Lucille IPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lexstarwalker

Reaction score
I had a Lucille IPA by Georgetown (makers of Manny's Pale Ale) at the movie theater the other day, and it was delicious! I really liked the piney notes.

Does anyone know where I can find a good clone recipe for this beer?

Do any of you know what hops are used in this beer? I'm especially wondering what strain(s) of hops gives that wonderful piney taste & aroma.

Thanks!

Ok, I found on the following on their site:

2-row Pale, Caramel, and Carapils.
Columbus, Centennial, Amarillo, Simcoe, and Cascade Hops.
IBU's 85.
English Ale Yeast.
Alcohol by volume 6.8%.

Any ideas on a recipe for this wonderful IPA?

That's interesting. I just had my second pint of this in two years tonight. I'm very interested ideas for formulating a recipe since I loved it even more than the first time. I have all of those hops on hand...can't seem to find any recipes online which is a surprise! I'm amazed at so many hops...I really didn't get THAT much complexity out of it but I guess it was just subtle.

Yeah, it's a great beer. Georgetown doesn't bottle, so your only hope of trying this excellent IPA is to find it on tap somewhere, unless you live nearby. I'm lucky enough to be able to go to their brewery and get growlers filled, but it's kind of far, so I don't get over there as often as I'd like.

I talked to someone at the brewery, and it seems that the piney taste I love in the beer is coming from the Simcoe hops.

Well, the hops are right in that recipe as far as type. I'm not sure about the ratios though. However, the malts are incorrect. A good recipe should start with the right ingredients and go from there. Here's the list of ingredients from the Lucille page on Georgetown's site (which really isn't hard to find):

2-row Pale, Caramel, and Carapils.
Columbus, Centennial, Amarillo, Simcoe, and Cascade Hops.
IBU's 85.
English Ale Yeast.
Alcohol by volume 6.8%.

Also, the piney flavor comes from the Simcoe, not the Cascade hops. I got this information from Georgetown brewery when I was last there (verified by their "hop manual").

So I just brewed a version of this (I'll post the recipe if it turns out at all) but I was wondering if folks think that the original Lucille is dry hopped? I can't find anything about dry hopping mentioned online and that's usually something brewerys advertise in a beer...? Either gonna crash cool today or else xfer for dryhopping.

How did this come out for you? And I do believe remembering them saying they dry hopped the Lucille when I went on their brewery tour.

Great tour by the way. It cost $5 and you drink the entire time out of a pint glass they give to you.

Did anyone ever nail down a good clone? I also love this beer and would like to be able to make something close

I have been looking for a clone of Lucille as well. I have not tried this one yet but didn't see it posted on the thread.

@Danio how did yours turn out?

http://www.craftedpours.com/homebrew-recipe/georgetown-lucille-ipa-clone-homebrew-recipe

All Grain IPA Recipe

Profile: HomeBrew recipe for an IPA, similar to Georgetown Lucille IPA. Medium-bodied with resinous hop flavors of citrus and pine. Dry finish with high hop bitterness.

Ingredients:

Malts

12.5 lbs Pale 2-row

12 oz. Crystal 60

8 oz. Carapils

Hops

1/2 oz. Columbus 15%a, 60 minutes

1 oz. Centennial 10%a, 20 minutes

1 oz. Amarillo 8%a, 15 minutes

1 oz. Simcoe 13%a, 10 minutes

1 oz. Cascade 6%a, at flameout

Yeast: White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast

Dry-Hop: 1 oz. Amarillo, 1 oz. Simcoe

Instructions:

Mash all grains for 1 hour at 152 degrees.

Sparge at 170 degrees.

One hour boil with hop regimen above.

Ferment at 63-68 degrees.

Rack to keg or secondary and age for 5 weeks. Add dry hops for the last 7 days.

I have been looking for a clone of Lucille as well. I have not tried this one yet but didn't see it posted on the thread.

@Danio how did yours turn out?

http://www.craftedpours.com/homebrew-recipe/georgetown-lucille-ipa-clone-homebrew-recipe

All Grain IPA Recipe

Profile: HomeBrew recipe for an IPA, similar to Georgetown Lucille IPA. Medium-bodied with resinous hop flavors of citrus and pine. Dry finish with high hop bitterness.

Ingredients:

Malts

12.5 lbs Pale 2-row

12 oz. Crystal 60

8 oz. Carapils

Hops

1/2 oz. Columbus 15%a, 60 minutes

1 oz. Centennial 10%a, 20 minutes

1 oz. Amarillo 8%a, 15 minutes

1 oz. Simcoe 13%a, 10 minutes

1 oz. Cascade 6%a, at flameout

Yeast: White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast

Dry-Hop: 1 oz. Amarillo, 1 oz. Simcoe

Instructions:

Mash all grains for 1 hour at 152 degrees.

Sparge at 170 degrees.

One hour boil with hop regimen above.

Ferment at 63-68 degrees.

Resurrecting the dead! How did this come out?

I used to love drinking this when in Seattle, will try one of these recipes out when I'm due for an IPA

Back