Anyone try BRY-97 yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm working on my first batch with this yeast. I didn't have any lag problems... in the fermenter and things were starting to rock maybe 5-6 hours later. We've had a bit of a cool spell this week, and the temps where the fermenter is dropped to low 50's ambient before I stabilized (the JC is set at 64, which is where I thought my temps would stay, but I had a lack of cooperation from Mother Nature) and the yeast has performed great even in this low temp range. Krausen to the top (and then some). Still blooping away in the blowoff three days later.

I'm doing an pretty normal IPA for me that I usually use WLP001 or WY1968 on, fwiw... 87% 2row, 6.5% melandoiden, 6.5% wheat; Warrior and Simcoe bitter, Centennial flavor, Cascade aroma (and eventual dryhop). 1.065OG, 100ish IBU, 6.5%ish expected ABV.

I have fermented twice with this, It was a simple blonde the hops seem to be a little subdued compared to us-05, but the flavor is clean I haven't had any of the fruit flavors that 05 can throw. The ferment ion was subdued and didn't seem to generate as much heat or Krausen. But this is only my 2 experiences. I will rep itch it again on the same Blonde recipe for a 3rd time . The hydrated yeast took 36 hrs to get going but the repicht took 3 hrs
:)

I am back again The Blonde taste pretty good considering I am only 8 brews into all grain. The Yeast was rep itched again and took of within 6hrs or so. the krausen 24hrs later is still the same height. I am holding at 65 right now and will let it rise in 48 hrs or so. So far I find the yeast not a blow tube monster and my Poor palate taste no off flavors. I am increasing my hops some tho as it seems to floc out the hops flavor some. This dern Blonde has me trying to stretch a keg to last 3 weeks and I am not finding it easy to do. I guess thats not a bad problem.

So I just did my first batch using BRY-97 last sunday afternoon. It`s an imperial IPA, with initial OG of 1.082 which, according to Beersmith, should come down to 1.021 using this yeast strain. I mashed at 152.5F, pitched the yeast, two packs of 11g that I did not rehydrate, at a wort temperature of 80F. took 24 hours for the bubbles to start. On the third day, it was bubbling every two seconds, with a first reading of the gravity at 1.060. On the fourth day the bubbles stopped. Today (fifth day), the gravity is at 1.036. Should I wait longer before considering I have an incomplete fermentation? If I do and nothing changes, should I pitch more yeast (this time rehydrated)?

So I just did my first batch using BRY-97 last sunday afternoon. It`s an imperial IPA, with initial OG of 1.082 which, according to Beersmith, should come down to 1.021 using this yeast strain. I mashed at 152.5F, pitched the yeast, two packs of 11g that I did not rehydrate, at a wort temperature of 80F. took 24 hours for the bubbles to start. On the third day, it was bubbling every two seconds, with a first reading of the gravity at 1.060. On the fourth day the bubbles stopped. Today (fifth day), the gravity is at 1.036. Should I wait longer before considering I have an incomplete fermentation? If I do and nothing changes, should I pitch more yeast (this time rehydrated)?

Yes, wait longer. It's not done.

Here is one of the recipes I did:

2-row - 8 lbs. 8 oz.
Munich - 1 lb. 8 oz.
Crystal 20L - 14 oz.

all Legacy (AA 10.2%)
0.8 oz. - 60 minutes
1 oz. - 10 minutes
2.5 oz. - 0 minutes

2.5 oz. - dry hop

OG - 1.052
Predicted FG - 1.012
ABV approx 6%
SRM - 7
IBU - 34

I didn't have enough Munich to do both batches with the same malt bill, so I did a little crystal 80L in the other one. Also, the other one is Calypso hops with a higher alpha acid content, so the bittering addition is smaller and I moved the 10 minute addition to the 8 minute mark.

This beer turned out great. I really enjoy the Legacy hops. They don't have the typical profile of citrus/pine that most people look for in a pale ale or IPA, but they have a really nice melon and stone fruit character with some lemon and grapefruit overtones. I have been waiting to dryhop the Calypso version, until I know I'll have time to bottle it or an open keg. I'll report back again when I get around to that.

Think I'm going to call an end to my time experimenting with BRY-97.
It attenuates great on my IPAs, usually down to 1 or 2* plato.
But no matter what temp I ferment at, what hops I use, what pitch rate I use, I get a very strong grape juice taste that I don't get with other American Ale yeasts. Maybe others that get this taste like it, but to me, it adds a bit of cloying sweetness that I'm not interested in.

Granny Knot what temp are you fermenting at and are you in a fermentation chamber? I guess my tongue is slow but I haven't had any grape yet. I am not arguing just trying to understand how it might happen.:confused:

I've tried everything between 62-70. Get the grape with each one.
I'd like to be able to blame it on my process, but I don't get that from US05, 1056, or 001.

I used BRY-97 on batch #8 for me, which a double batch of Mr Beer Oktoberfest with the addition of 2lb Amber LME and 2 oz Hallertau hop pellets.
(20 min boil on the hops and LME, the MB extracts and booster packs were added at the end of the boil)
(...I did a similar recipe in the past that turned out really nice, I've done some partial mashes but mostly extracts so far)
OG on this batch was 1.058 and I ended up with 4.75 gal in the 6.5 gal carboy. Should be about 7% ABV once complete.

I rehydrated the yeast per the instructions on the pack, boil 4oz, let cool (covered) to 86f, added yeast, waited 15 min, stir, wait 5 min, pitch into similar temp wort, 78f if I recall.

Put the carboy in the fermentation fridge started dropping the temp to 64. (about 2 deg an hour)
(temp probe on the glass carboy, w/outside insulation on the probe so the glass should be the largest effect)

I had activity within 24 hours - a thin layer of bubbles, maybe 1/16 of an inch thick.
Krausen steady increased and peaked in about 2 days. 1.5 inches thick maybe?
It held that thickness for ~2 days then started decreasing.
The Krausen looks gooey and thick (never seen it like that before)
All krausen is on top, none of the floating clouds others have reported.
Smells great!
(temp always between 63 and 64f, it is cold here so it is heating, it drops to 63 then heats to 64, repeat...)

I'm on day 9 since the start of activity and still getting 1 bubble every 5 sec in the airlock.
Krausen is maybe 0.25 in thick, still very gooey looking.
I'm going to start raising the temp setpoint for diacetyl rest. Set to 65 today.

This is the longest ferment I've had by far.
(only the 3rd batch I've brewed with this temp control setup)

Once this is done fermenting I'll let it set at room temp for another 2-3 weeks, (maybe cold crash depending on how it clears) then keg, and force carb over a week or two, then chill.

I'm looking forward to getting a taste of this one.
I thought I'd share my "not so long" lag (as others), gooey krausen, and long ferment with BRY-97

Cheers!

update -
5 weeks in primary, no cold crash, quite clear, racked to keg, force carbed
og 1.058, fg 1.009, ABV 6.5%, att 84%
Nice taste out of the fermenter.
Chilling now, will update this weekend when it is tapped.

Last edited:
Update -
This turned out to be a nice beer but not as planned.
It is a nice Ale but it has more esters than expected. Not over the top, but not slight either.
Fermentation temperature-wise I would have expected much lower esters.
In retrospect, given the OG (1.058) I believe I under pitched and that resulted the long ferment, and produced more esters.
All that said, it is good. A successful brew and several new brewing experiences.

I'm currently using this in a Kolsch recipe. OG 1.051. Didn't take off for nearly 3 days. I ferment in a corny so it's possible it started sooner but I just couldn't tell. I pressure ferment, so I watch the gauge. After 7 days I was well short of where it should have been, like 1.025 ish. I upped the temp in the ferm cabinet from 64 to about 68 incrementally. 2 days later I was down to 1.011, 78.5% attenuation. Tasted very clean. Very cloudy beer despite being drawn from a floating dip tube. It is now crashing in the keezer for a week before I will pressure transfer to a clean keg and carb it.

I have high hopes for this one.

Holy attenuation Batman....5 days later at 5*c and the Kolsch has dropped another 5 points, down to 1.006. I've never seen a yeast like this. I went to draw the sample and I got nothing but foam. I put the spunding valve on it (I had removed it when I cold crashed since it was down to 1.011) and it blew down like a locomotive! Must have had 30 lbs on it. I'm leaving the valve on it for sure! I'm at better than 88% attenuation right now. Tasted nice and clean too, but still cloudy. I think I'll give it a few weeks.......

I used it on a Pale Ale and it took off within 6 hours of pitching. I didn't see any of the the lag like others have reported; whereas S-05 usually takes 24ish hours for me. I used a swamp cooler to keep it at 63° F and it got down to 1.01 within 10 days.

It's only been in the bottle for a week, but so far, I haven't had any off flavors. To me is seems like a pretty neutral strain.

I just bought more for an IPA that I'll be brewing in the coming weeks. I'm going for a hop bomb, so I'm interested in seeing if the rumor of it "stripping" hop flavor and aroma is true.

Decided after a few too many to toss half a lbs of 45L candi syrup into a 1 gallon IPA batch using BRY-97. Damn thing bubbled like a beast for 2 straight days making my blowoff container look like a swamp and a gave a good solid "glug" every 5 seconds or so for an additional 4 days. Only just settled down after more than a week. The regular ambient temp in our little closet is about 65-70 any given day.

And this is a packet of yeast that is several months past it's BBD I'd woken up with a touch of yeast nutrient and sugar in the hydrating water, and a little more nutrient in the boil.

Haven't gotten into the habit of using my hydrometer yet so have no idea on gravity, can't wait to do a taste test on it :D

Decided after a few too many to toss half a lbs of 45L candi syrup into a 1 gallon IPA batch using BRY-97. Damn thing bubbled like a beast for 2 straight days making my blowoff container look like a swamp and a gave a good solid "glug" every 5 seconds or so for an additional 4 days. Only just settled down after more than a week. The regular ambient temp in our little closet is about 65-70 any given day.

And this is a packet of yeast that is several months past it's BBD I'd woken up with a touch of yeast nutrient and sugar in the hydrating water, and a little more nutrient in the boil.

Haven't gotten into the habit of using my hydrometer yet so have no idea on gravity, can't wait to do a taste test on it :D

Well the IPA should be a little bit stiffer, my guess is 1.5 % more alcohol. Let us know how that turns out.:mug:

Well the IPA should be a little bit stiffer, my guess is 1.5 % more alcohol. Let us know how that turns out.:mug:

Haha you might be right, just dumped everything into BrewersFriend and it gave me an estimate of 6.25%. :rockin:

Actually not as high as I'd imagined considering the overdose of sugar I heaped in.

Might as well keep this old thread going.....

No I came across this while I was looking for others opinions and comments on BRY-97.

I had been brewing my Blond ales and other small beers with US-05 and used BRY-97 for my IPA's but I am thinking of ditching the US-05 in favor of BRY-97 for most of my brews because I am not satisfied with how I have trouble getting US-05 to settle out. I never have a problem with BRY-97 and feel it taste just as clean.

Just some thoughts..

I have trouble getting US-05 to settle out. I never have a problem with BRY-97 and feel it taste just as clean.

Try Cold Crashing US-05. For me, after a week or so in kegs my beers are clear.
As for BRY-97..... I'm here to 'flame' this yeast.

My local brew shop only had 2 US-05 packs. I needed four so I bought 2 BRY-97 (AT $6.00 vs. $4.50 for US05):eek:

Brewed up a simple 10 gallon split batch of a Pale Ale recipe and re-hydrated 1 pack of each yeast side by side. Everything was identical - almost a Brülosophy xBmt!

That was Wednesday (3/8) pitching at 4:30. This is SUNDAY and US-05 started in 19 hours - BRY-97 still hasn't even a sign of kicking off. Plain wort sitting next to a high krausening -05. 3 1/2 days! This is now SUNDAY!!!

Like you, I read up on this West Coast style yeast and am curious but I doubt I'll buy this again. Who wants to brew and wait over 3 days for startup? Not me.

My $.02

Re: Yeast origin

Two different yeast with two different characteristics.

US-05 = BRY-96 Ballantine Beer (a.k.a. "Chico," Wyeast 1056, White Labs WLP001)

Bry-97 = Ballantine Ale (a.k.a. Wyeast 1272, WLP051) in this case the dry is a slower starter than the liquid equivalents. 36 hrs is normal start up for this yeast but it will ferment fast and clear quickly. Re-hydration is recommended. I believe this is used in Anchor Liberty.

Who wants to brew and wait over 3 days for startup? Not me.
My $.02

UPDATE: Monday (3/13)- this morning we're seeing the beginning clouds of the start of fermentation.

Pitch - Wednesday (3/8) 4:30pm - Temp controlled 66'
Start - Monday (3/13) 4:30am (estimate for simplicity)
Total - 4 days 12 hours

This is for your information if you are researching this yeast in consideration of using it. Thank you brewbama for additional information about the difference in this strain.

P.S. - The US-05 is finishing up and will be moved from temp control to ramp up for full attenuation.
Certainly hope this yeast will be worth the risk of such a slow start.

I used BRY-97 a few times, twice with Brewers Best Black IPA kits. (which I plan on keeping a steady supply of...)
When used this yeast dry it was always very slow to start, scary slow...
The last time I used it I made a 1.5l yeast starter. When the starter finished I cold crashed till brew day, 7 days total after starting the starter.
On brew day I decanted, pitched the slurry.
Within 12 hours it had about 1/8 inch of krausen.
Within 24 hours it had almost 3 inches of krausen.
It never blew off but came very close.
1.062->1.016 ~73% attenuation and ~6.2% ABV
It turned out really nice.
-- my setup
I have a pretty new brew-pi setup using a mini-fridge and this was the first time I used a thermowell.
My setpoint was 68 deg F. for this brew.
It went through high krausen with +/- 0.1 deg F variation as measured by the thermowell.
--

I know you can pitch more dry packs to get the cell count you want, but if you make a starter it seems you can also avoid the lag with this yeast. (at least with my sample size of 1 :eek:)

Can anyone else corroborate this experience?

Cheers!
Tim

I repitch Bry 97 slurry alot I use the yeast for 70% of my brewing almost all of my repitches take off within 6 hrs. When I have to pitch the yeast Dry it can vary from 12hrs to 3 days. THe yeast is best with malt forward recipes.:mug:

This yeast is ssssllllooooooowwww!! Can't deal with it

UPDATE:
4 days after starting I allowed the fermentation chamber to rise to 70' (garage temp)
Krausen activity has dropped from yesterday to completely dissipated this morning. Call it finished.

3/19 - Sunday (3/19)

10 1/2 days primary - 4 1/2 days to start 6 days finish

Can't WAIT to see how this yeast has performed - Must be some GOOD stuff. :rockin:

I pitched on Monday at 2 pm eastern at this moment just over 48 hours still no sign of life. I rehydrated as per instructions on the packet.

After reading here should I leave it another day or 2 and if nothing pitch some 05 in there. This is a five gallon batch of IPA Thanks

UPDATE: Monday (3/13)- this morning we're seeing the beginning clouds of the start of fermentation.

Pitch - Wednesday (3/8) 4:30pm - Temp controlled 66'
Start - Monday (3/13) 4:30am (estimate for simplicity)
Total - 4 days 12 hours

This is for your information if you are researching this yeast in consideration of using it. Thank you brewbama for additional information about the difference in this strain.

P.S. - The US-05 is finishing up and will be moved from temp control to ramp up for full attenuation.
Certainly hope this yeast will be worth the risk of such a slow start.

I think I've mentioned it here before, but I've used BRY-97 twice, both times just sprinkled on top of the wort. One batch took two days to show signs of fermentation, the other was bubbling within something like 6-8 hours, which I think is the fastest I've ever seen a batch take off. It's known as a slow starter, but BRY-97 can come out roaring.

I repitch Bry 97 slurry alot I use the yeast for 70% of my brewing almost all of my repitches take off within 6 hrs. When I have to pitch the yeast Dry it can vary from 12hrs to 3 days. THe yeast is best with malt forward recipes.:mug:

This has been my experience too. It takes off just fine when pitching a slurry.

Update:
After 3 additional days inside at 71' for completion and settling I have a consistent reading and attenuation measurement.

US-05 - 1.013 = 75%
BRY97 - 1.017 = 67%

(Mashed at 155' intentionally for body)

BRY97 is much less clear, more sweat and floral, I understand a more malt forward character of this yeast.

I've already kegged and re-used 100ml of the US-05. That batch literally had nice, large yeast clumps forming in under 2 hours.

As stated above in other posts I may try BRY97 slurry but have another unused new pack I will save for a VERY rainy day.

I regualarly make my blonde which is 10.53ish and it finnishes at 10.06 with the bry 97 Repitches. but I mash at 149, and I ferment at 68 for 4 days on average and then let the temp rise if it wants. I have found the BRY 97 to be more forgiving of high temps then the us05. :mug:

Using this yeast for the first time in a year or so. It took about 30 hours to see activity in my starter. I pitched at high krausen and had 1/4" of krausen in the primary about 12 hours later. I have kept a pretty consistent temp at 60° ambient, but took it out after 7 days.

It is still churning! Working overtime... Always exciting to see the activity. Hope it's done by next weekend so I can bottle...

I just used this yeast for the first time ever in a hoppy pale ale and it attenuated 1.054>>1.006(87% AA). I used yeast nutrient and hit it with some O2, per my usual MO even though I know O2 aeration is not necessarily needed for dry yeast. I'm sure it'll taste fine but I definitely didn't want it to go that far down. Transferring to serving keg today

Back