Pliny clone from Russian River

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharkman20

Reaction score
I emailed Vinnie over at Russian River and he sent me the pdf clone recipe for Pliny the Elder. I've searched a bit on here but I can't seem to find anyone that's actually used this recipe exactly.

If anyone has made this, how did it turn out? How much grain in pounds did you wind up using to hit your target since the recipe only lists percentages?

If anyone wants the pdf file, PM me and I'll be glad to send it.

I saw that one and it's similar, but the percentages of carapils and crystal are higher, while the amount of dextrose is lower in the one i have. If you want to shoot me a pm with your email I can send it to you.

I've used the one floating around on the internet - I think I got the pdf from farmhousebrewing - and it turned out fantastic. If you search, there are lots of threads about recipes. I even made one about comparing that pdf to BCS' IIPA recipe to TheDude's IIPA recipe he has posted on here to maybe another, and ended up just using Vinny's. In a side-by-side with the real deal, mine was super close, with bonus points for being a bit fresher/livelier, even though the PtE wasn't old by any means.

With the pdf recipe being spot-on, the keys are, as always, yeast pitch rate, oxygenation, and ferment temps.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pliny-226946/

Read this. The PDF mentioned in the link is what I brewed. I loved it. Will be brewing it again in a couple months.

Yup, that's the one. I think it's as official as it's going to get, since the owner/brewmaster Vinnie gave me that exact pdf file. I'm going to try it here soon in the next few weeks. If it turns out half as good as pliny I'll be happy. lol

Back