Blew the lid off my bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karljrberno

Reaction score
I pitched 2 yeast packs in a .062OG at steady 69deg-F- , When fermentation took place , BOY DID IT EVER TAKE PLACE , It foamed out the airlock and when the airlock became too clogged "BAM" There went the lid , it looked like sombody splatterd sh*& on my walls in my food pantre :mug:

1. Any suggestions if I have another vigorus fermentation on how to manage the over flow ?

Never would have thought of the "Blow Off Tube" I LOVE You guys , Ya a starter would save $ too .

Same thing happen to me about a month ago. I only pitched one smack pack. Sh@t all over the floor.PITA to clean up, but still cool.

I had a cream ale that blew my air lock out, then blow the lid off.

5726273709_1ce20ffc2d_z.jpg

I thought this was about something completely different...

What yeast were you using? I find WLP002 to blow off like crazy

shoving 6.3 gallons in a 6.5 gallon bucket isn't a good idea either. give yourself some headspace and you'll be golden.

if you really are concerned with contamination... don't worry so much. you can scrape the cruddy looking foam off the top and you'll still have plenty enough yeast to get your .062 down

I had an imperial stout with some CRAZY fermentation going on.

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

After I transferred half of it into my carboy (the only fermenter I had left).

IMG_1942.jpg

Believe it or not that thing still blew the airlock off of the carboy. I'm lucky it didn't blow the carboy to pieces.

BTW, I'm brewing this again for my next batch. I'm definitely using a blow off tube this time.

The blow off tube , HA , How smart :rolleyes:

From now on , In my primary I will use a blow off tube for the first 72hrs when fermentation seems to be at its peek then switch to a air lock I will let the blow off into a 5 gallon homedepot bucket with 1/3 water .That shuld leave plenty room for the "Blow Off"

dfc said:
I had an imperial stout with some CRAZY fermentation going on.

After I transferred half of it into my carboy (the only fermenter I had left).

Believe it or not that thing still blew the airlock off of the carboy. I'm lucky it didn't blow the carboy to pieces.

BTW, I'm brewing this again for my next batch. I'm definitely using a blow off tube this time.

Holy crap! Thats some ridiculous krausen!

Thanks for taking pictures.There should be a "sticky" that tells everyone that a picture of a blow out is mandatory before you can post.

Back