How long on the yeast cake? Applewine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HH60gunner

Reaction score
This is my first applewine and for the most part I followed ed's recipe although I supplemented 2 of the 5 gallons with an unfiltered apple juice from trader joes. Kind of with I hadn't because now it's pretty cloudy in there. How long should I let this sit in the primary before racking or bottling? Should I just let sit until clear then bottle? Or do I need to rack to a secondary at some point?

My plan was to let it sit in the primary for 3 months than bottle it as a still applewine and condition for another 3 months or so. Does this sound about right or should I adjust for better clarity and flavor?

i've made a few ed's apfelweins, and that timeline is right

Thanks,

Do you bother using anything like campden tablets or anything like that? I plan on having mine still and bottling them in beer bottles. Should I be worried about it oxidizing, or just relax don't worry and have a homebrew.....

Interested also.. Mines been fermenting for 2 weeks now. Plan on being my first bottled creation as I normally keg. Was thinking 3 months Primary as well.

I let mine sit in the primary for 6 months before bottling.

Back