Want to get my funk on extract style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyGHusk

Reaction score
So I'm looking for a little help getting a recipe for a Lambic/Wild recipe.

I have some yeasties from a bottle of Jolly Pumpkin that I have built up a couple of steps.

I would like to do a 4 gal. batch as I will be doing it in a 5 gal. carboy(assuming this will work, I know most people often do buckets but....)

I think I would also need to pitch some Brett, as I am looking for something a little quicker than a Lambic for my first attempt.

I am also wondering if/how I could incorporate some frozen peaches that I picked and froze last year.

I looked in the recipe section but everything was AG.

Any and all thoughts are most welcome.

BGH

a berliner weiss is a very quick sour, basically its a low gravity wheat beer fermented with a clean ale yeast and lacto, traditionally its served with a fruit syrup to cut the sourness and add some flavor, its a very easy drinker on a hot summer day

with the dregs you have you could probably step them up a bit and use solely that for the fermentation, JP calabaza blanca has worked very very well in something like a b weiss for me in the past, its quick and is nicely tart

I would shoot for a gravity of ~1040 using wheat extract and a tiny amount of sugar to help dry things out a bit, then use the stepped up dregs for fermentation, bitter to ~5IBU and your good to go, should be done in a month or so

As far as peaches go, I would say use them in a cobbler, peach flavor just doesnt really come thru fermenation well in my experience with it, although that has always been a "clean" beer and not a sour. If you want some peach flavor use apricots instead

the joy of homebrewing has a great appedix about extract sour mash brewing incorporating a sour mash and brett. i think that will be your best resource. i do all my batches with partial mash (i know, i know, 6 years brewing and still not AG). i like to think all my batches of sours have turned out just fine so no worries, you'll be okay:) you should get some umalted wheat, flaked or torrified, and steep, then give a short boil to release tannins that will act as more food for the wild things.

ryane knows his sheeit, so if he says peaches won't work well he's probably right. that said, i would not let that deter you from using them. maybe throw them in with the mentioned apricots for an underlying flavor. there are guidelines for sours, but no "golden rules". when in doubt try it out:D

As far as peaches go, I would say use them in a cobbler, peach flavor just doesnt really come thru fermenation well in my experience with it, although that has always been a "clean" beer and not a sour. If you want some peach flavor use apricots instead

The key is using really fresh/ripe peaches. If anything my peach sour has too much peach flavor/aroma with ~2 lbs of white peaches per gallon. I just sliced the peaches leaving the skin on but removing the pit and added them to secondary for ~6 months. The turned to goo, so I racked off them and let the beer settle for a month before bottling.

No great tips on extract brewing sours, in my experience though the specifics of the wort are much less important than the bugs/time it takes.

The key is using really fresh/ripe peaches. If anything my peach sour has too much peach flavor/aroma with ~2 lbs of white peaches per gallon. I just sliced the peaches leaving the skin on but removing the pit and added them to secondary for ~6 months. The turned to goo, so I racked off them and let the beer settle for a month before bottling.

Huh, maybe it makes a difference in a sour, Ive only tried them in blondes or wheats.........

Back