Automated chiller help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinglejohn

Reaction score
I have been using the "son of" fermentation box for the last couple of years but would like to upgrade to something that is automated as changin the ice daily is a bit tedious.

I have a mini fridge i was going to turn into a kegerator and had considered also making it run my chiller box.

Has anyone done/seen a similar project?
Do you have any plans/links?

Well, i wanted to avoid reading for hours, i was hoping that everyone elses reading for hours could provide me a shortcut.

you could try somthing like this "Kegerator conversion from mini upright freezer" you just need a temp controler

edit: sorry don't know how to post shortcuts yet. run a search up top it will be the frist one that shows up

Well, i wanted to avoid reading for hours, i was hoping that everyone elses reading for hours could provide me a shortcut.

We have read for hours. And each of us have taken different things away from that research. My idea of a fermentation chamber is 7' tall, 5' wide, and 3' deep. Some thing I'm nuts - And their ideas, based on their research, are better for them. We don't know what model fridge you have, or how big of a chamber you want to build. Do you want to lager in it? Or just ferment ales? Just carboys? Or Carboys, maybe cornys or a conical?

There are WAY too many variables for anyone here to answer your question in any more detail than the following:

You can probably use your fridge for cooling - Depends on how much cooling power it has, and how big your chamber will be...
You can build the walls out of just about anything - Most use some sort of frame and plywood for sheathing... (One even used a kitchen table)
You can insulate with about 1/2 dozen different kinds of foam or fiberglass - Most use extruded foam insulation with great success... (The pink stuff - Formular I think)
You can use a Love controller, or Auber Instruments PID, or a Johnson or Ranco to control the temperature. Some use a BCS-460 or BrewTroller. As for wiring them - Research. There are a ton of great threads that will walk you through every step of every step of your project.

If I was to venture you a shortcut, it's "Build a box on the end of your fridge. You should probably insulate it, and you'll want some sort of temperature controller to hold fermentation temps.

Good luck ;)

Ok, I'll STFU (Been drinking a bit tonight) and search for ya for 10 minutes, but that's all you get ;)
The first link is a "Son of" a fermentation chamber, modified to use a dorm fridge - It's also the first thread I found when I searched for "Fermentation Chamber" :rockin:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/fermistat-bastard-fermentation-chamber-161146/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-fermentation-chamber-kegerator-build-102383
/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/another-fermentation-chamber-143443/

This one has a great idea from Fatman, and the plan I have percolating in my little brain...

Here is what I just finished. I currently have 2 batches fermenting with room for another one and maybe 3 cornies.

complete.jpg

Precisely why this site is full of the same 10 threads over and over and over and over again. Don't be lazy, DO a search.

Latest posts

Back