Best Pink Floyd Song

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's someone in my head, and it's not me.

8ea6_ef11.jpeg

Wait... WTH? That's perfect!

Thanks for the label. I was wondering what to do there.

You shout and noone seems to hear.

Damn. Vivant brews a beer with such a sweet label and I hate sour beers. I'd buy this just for the can though.

EDIT: Limit edition. Don't can any more of these. Might be able to get it on tap, according to their beer menu. But no can!

Homercidal said:
Damn. Vivant brews a beer with such a sweet label and I hate sour beers. I'd buy this just for the can though.

EDIT: Limit edition. Don't can any more of these. Might be able to get it on tap, according to their beer menu. But no can!

If I can track down more via trade and you just want an empty, I'd be happy to send you one. Or hit up Nizzle. He's probably got his recycling bin full of them.

Also, it's not really sour, at least not to me. Tart for sure, but well balanced with the roast.

Not likely to be sour - mines not. Funky though, for sure. I can't do sours any more (burnt myself out on them). But funk is great. That's what I deduce from "Farmhouse".

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible said:
My daughter (30 now) called me soon after she watched that on English TV. She was blown away and asking me for tips on any other seriously good bands from the past she should be listening to......Honestly, that is NOT supposed to happen when it comes to parents, kids and music! :rockin:

I am waiting for that day. I serve my kids (12, 10, 4) up great music from the past five decades and they roll their eyes.

For me Floyd: Wish you Were Here, for sure. Have played this on acoustic hundreds of times in my basement (not on stage!). Great Gig in the Sky has to be my all time fav, but for new Floyd, Learning to Fly's opening roaring bass/guitar/drum lines are so powerful.

I might hack peeps off, but I could never get into Syd Barrett Floyd. Let the boos begin.

quickerNu said:
This is like answering "what is your favorite beer?". Depends on my mood, the weather, my age, and my level of intoxication. I think humidity is a factor as well.

Oh- you have never really heard Pink until you listen to the vinyl on quadraphonic headphones.

Quradraphonic headphones? If that's a real thing, I'll have to try it. I do enjoy the fade from ear to ear on headphones, but I always miss the bass in my belly.

Quradraphonic headphones? If that's a real thing, I'll have to try it. I do enjoy the fade from ear to ear on headphones, but I always miss the bass in my belly.

I haven't enjoyed the early Floyd as much as the later stuff either. Some of it it interesting, but doesn't "get me" like the Gilmour stuff.

Quad headphones place separate speakers around the ear If I'm not mistaken. A friend has one for gaming and I got to try it and the sound was amazing! They were a bit pricey, and felt odd, but there was definite surround sound.

I like the good earbuds I got for portable listening, but nothing so far has taken the place of the old fashioned giant headphones my BIL used to own. Plugged into his HI-FI with EQ.

'Breathe' hands down. I always seem to put that song on repeat in the evenings after a couple beers and just chill.

I haven't enjoyed the early Floyd as much as the later stuff either. Some of it it interesting, but doesn't "get me" like the Gilmour stuff.

Quad headphones place separate speakers around the ear If I'm not mistaken. A friend has one for gaming and I got to try it and the sound was amazing! They were a bit pricey, and felt odd, but there was definite surround sound.

I like the good earbuds I got for portable listening, but nothing so far has taken the place of the old fashioned giant headphones my BIL used to own. Plugged into his HI-FI with EQ.

Thanks for the explanation!

Always liked:
1) Wish You Were Here
2) Time
3) One of these days
4) Sheep
5) Fletcher Memorial Home

Also there is an all reggae remake of Dark Side Of The Moon. You'll either love it or hate it.

Learning to Fly. When I hear that song, I have to stop whatever I'm doing and just listen.

Sent from my MB855 using Home Brew mobile app

I love sorrow. The guitar solo in the beginning just sucks me in.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wish you were here.

Breathe.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Rather than the best floyd song, a more interesting question might be are you tired of any of them yet? I can see how that might be the case on albums up until Ummagumma or thereabouts, but seriously, I never tire of hearing any of it. It should have got old by now, surely?

Rather than the best floyd song, a more interesting question might be are you tired of any of them yet? I can see how that might be the case on albums up until Ummagumma or thereabouts, but seriously, I never tire of hearing any of it. It should have got old by now, surely?

I'd say Another Brick in the Wall p1 was overplayed to death.

Missed this thread for so long due to my not being around, but I have to put up one of my favorites that I haven't seen anyone mention-- "Wot's... Uh the Deal?" Most people I know, even self-described Floyd fans, have never heard this one...

[ame="http://youtu.be/itxVfQ1MZOo"]Here's a live version from Gdansk...[/ame]

I don't get tired of any, but my daughter laughs at Bike, The Gnome, and seems puzzled by Several Species.. Nothing I can say. There is a level of weirdness to the earlier stuff. But it is the sound of the time.

Not now John is one I always loved. It was different, even for Floyd. Always loved Waters' sarcastic stuff. "there's too many home fires burning and not enough trees" WOW! That line has always blown me away!

And yes, Wots...uh the deal is amazing! My older brother introduced me to that song, and that album many moons ago, and it's a steady on my Ipod to this day, I know I have it on vinyl somewhere, too, need to find that......

I need to go though the thread but in the mean while the is the inspiration the name of one of my loooong dead dogs, RIP, dobbie goofy F he was!

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed the later stuff, after the really weird kind of spacey, disconnected sound from the very early days. Sometimes I go back there, but I think they really hit their stride about the time Gilmour got in.

And dudes, HEAPHONES! PF is great, anyway, but headphones takes it into a nearly mind-blowing experience. There are a few rare instances of artists using a recording studio as well as these guys did.

I also very much appreciate what the guys put into the songwriting.

FWIW, One of the American woman figure skaters in the Olympics, did a short program to Crazy Diamond. It wasn't the original version, sort of a Muzak version, but what the hell. Got to give her points for the effort.

FWIW, One of the American woman figure skaters in the Olympics, did a short program to Crazy Diamond. It wasn't the original version, sort of a Muzak version, but what the hell. Got to give her points for the effort.

I was watching that with my daughter and her friend, and explained to them how it was a song written about their former bandleader who dropped too much acid and went insane. I think the_Bean already knew.

Incidentally, I never knew about this little event that occurred when they were recording the song:

Richard Wright said:
Roger was there, and he was sitting at the desk, and I came in and I saw this guy sitting behind him--huge, bald, fat guy. I thought, "He looks a bit...strange..." Anyway, so I sat down with Roger at the desk and we worked for about ten minutes, and this guy kept on getting up and brushing his teeth and then sitting--doing really weird things, but keeping quiet. And I said to Roger, "Who is he?" and Roger said "I don't know." and I said "Well, I assumed he was a friend of yours," and he said "No, I don't know who he is." Anyway, it took me a long time, and then suddenly I realised it was Syd, after maybe 45 minutes. He came in as we were doing the vocals for Shine On You Crazy Diamond, which was basically about Syd. He just, for some incredible reason he picked the very day that we were doing a song which was about him. And we hadn't seen him, I don't think, for two years before. That's what's so incredibly...weird about this guy. And a bit disturbing, as well, I mean, particularly when you see a guy, that you don't, you couldn't recognise him. And then, for him to pick the very day we want to start putting vocals on, which is a song about him. Very strange.

220px-Syd_Barrett_Abbey_Road_1975.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shine_On_You_Crazy_Diamond

Also; better than the little Russian phenom who skated to the theme from "Schindler's List," while dressed as the little girl in the red coat.

I was just listening to Wish You Were Here (album) on the way home. Such a great album and the title song is one of my favorites. Comfortably Numb is up there too.

I know I'm going to get flak for this, but I just can't seem to get into the early Floyd albums. They are just a bit too far out there for me. I like some of the songs, but musically I can't appreciate them. I think for the most part I like them better the further along they went. Up to a point anyway.

Hard to pick on best song. I find I like a different song best each time I listen to them. Comfortably Numb was really good in the car this weekend. Talk to Me is a another favorite. It's an age old problem.

Latest posts

Back