BrewerShroomers Unite! Who's lookin for Morels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went out today to the place I always went, but haven't for about 10 or more years. Usually I could count on finding tons of Blacks and later maybe a few Morels.

The rule of thumb was "when the oak leaves are mouse ear size." It's an old saying from way back.

The oak leaves are a bit bigger than the ROT, but it was dry and I found nothing, even though this place is near a dead lake/wet area. Water was only 10'-20' away, but the bank where the mushrooms are found was dry and crispy. Thinking that JUST after the rain due this week they are either gonna be there or not at all this year. The undergrowth foliage is already advanced from what remember it being when the 'shrooms were ripe. I don't see evidence op a lot of fresh foot traffic, either, so maybe late week I'll go back.

By early June, this place is filled with wild high-bush blueberries, and I intend to go back and get some this year. Depending on moisture between now and then, it may be a good year.

Looks like more rain coming tuesday, wed, thursday. Not real warm, but maybe warm enough. Sucks not having a real good spot. I'm jonesing for some mushrooms!

Went out to my crappy spot last night and found 7 of them. I think someone else is picking there too. I found a beefsteak stem and no beefsteak. I also was upset to see a logging company cutting down trees right next to this spot. I hope they don't plan on continuing towards the mushroom area, but I see no reason for them not to.

A quick little hike yielded some success yesterday. I found two small black ones and then a bunch of fairly large orange ones. Total weight was 14 oz. I have steak and mushrooms in my future........

If by orange you mean the beefsteak type, I highly suggest you read up on the facts regarding their safety. There are numerous highly-respected papers detailing the compound that can prove serious or even deadly.

People that have safely eaten them for years can suddenly have a serious reaction. Happened to my grandpa once, according to my dad. We ate them when I was a kid, but no more.

Found my first Morel of '09-in my front yard! I was tossing the ball to the dog. I'm PO'd that I walked my azz of two days ago and saw nothing, only to find it in my own yard today.

It's tiny now, so I'm waiting to pick it. We got a little rain this afternoon, but I almost think it was the drop in barometric pressure that made it decide to pop-the rain came after it was up. Hops seem MUCH better today, too, and I again suspect the drop in pressure, and increase in humidity.

I'm heading out early tomorrow morning and looking. ;)

Intense yellow from late afternoon sun.

First_Shroom_001.jpg

Orange, yellow, whatever you call them - the big ones that come out after the blacks. Like the one in HH's photo - only bigger :D. I know a false morel when I see one.

Latest posts

Back