IPA recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlemingsFinest

Reaction score
Hi everyone. A while ago I posted an original IPA recipe which turned out to be pretty tasty, but I am looking to brew a revised version. Just looking for comments, ideas, opinions, etc. It may be a newbie question, but I'm particularly interested in getting some feedback about what temp I should heat my strike water to in order to bring my mash temp down to 152F after doughing in. Thanks!

Batch Size: 5 Gallons
Type: All Grain
Yeast: Safale US-05
Starter: No
Estimated Pre Boil OG: 1.050
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.65
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018
Estimated Alcohol By Volume: 6.16%
IBU: 55
SRM: 9.25

Boil Time: 60 Mins
Anticipated Efficiency: 70%

grains:
10.25 lbs American 2-Row Malt
1.5 lbs Victory Malt
0.75 lbs Caramel 40
0.25 lbs Carapils

Mash at 152F.
Mash Volume 4 gal.
60 Min mash.

Batch sparge with enough 178F water to achieve a boil volume of 6.5 gal.

Boil
Target Boil Volume: 6.5 gallons

Hop Additions:
1 oz Centennial 60 min
0.50 Oz Cascade 20 Min
0.25 Oz Cascade 10 Min
1 Oz Cascade 5 Min
0.50 Oz Centennial 2 Min
1.0 Oz Cascade [dry hop]
0.75 oz Centennial [dry hop]

Looks pretty straight-forward and typical for an American IPA. I imagine it will be quite tasty. :mug:

On the mash and sparge temps: If you haven't already, download the trial version of BeerSmith and plug your recipe in. It is a good program to help you estimate your temps.

I might just end up consolidating the 0.50 oz Cascade addition at 20 mins and 0.25 oz Cascade at 10 mins into .75 oz at 20 mins, leaving everything else the same.

I might just end up consolidating the 0.50 oz Cascade addition at 20 mins and 0.25 oz Cascade at 10 mins into .75 oz at 20 mins, leaving everything else the same.

Why? I like lots of late additions, and the flavor from a 20 minute addition is different than a 10 minute addition (after all, it'd be boiled twice as long.......)

Most of my IPAs look like this:

60 minutes
15 minutes
10 minutes
5 minutes
0 minutes
Dryhop

Why? I like lots of late additions, and the flavor from a 20 minute addition is different than a 10 minute addition (after all, it'd be boiled twice as long.......)

Most of my IPAs look like this:

60 minutes
15 minutes
10 minutes
5 minutes
0 minutes
Dryhop

You're right. On the first time I brewed this recipe, I opted to spread out the hop additions to bring out the various flavors from the hops to round out the overall taste. I am going to leave it as is, with the numerous additions, I liked the way it came out the first time.

My few recipes rely on a 2 oz or so bittering addition (but aiming for a similar ibu) and two later flavor and aroma additions. I'm still learning so I was asking whether braking up the bittering addition mattered. Yooper seems to say no and my few ipas have looked like that.

Anyway, I like the victory malt. I've been trying to brew an ipa with that.

Back