Smash brew in progess

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonefishing

Someday I'll stop procrastinating
Reaction score
Took the step... my first SMaSH. All 2 row and Cascades
Here's what it is:
3 gallon batch
5.5# 2 row
Mashed @154 for 60 minutes
Sparge split into 2 steps
10 minutes soak
Rinse and drain

Intend to boil for 60 minutes with .5 oz Cascade at 30 minutes, 15 minutes and flameout.

If it all works according to plan it will be about 5% abv, 4ish HCU and 26-27 IBU, which should put it right in the center of the balanced column of the chart.

yep, the first ...I've always used several grains, never a single one.
I don't know how good this one will be... ended up doing about a 90 minute boil, which means my hops were in there for 60 and 45 minutes. I did remove the hop bag at the end of 60 minutes, so I don't know how to calculate what the resulting IBUs might be. Also concerned that boiling too long could change the Cascade from citrusy to piney. We'll see!

you could always dry hop it too. help cover the pine???

i would like to try this as well. just not sure which grain....and now i have a real selection of hops!
im thinkin an amarillo/marris otter?

I think for this one I just might wait and see what I've got. There's only 3 gallons anyway, and I do want to know what resulted from my actual boil schedule.
I understand tha Marris Otter is a good malt to do this with, but I don't know diddly about Amarillo, so I haven't a clue there.

Bubbling merrily.... which I was glad to see because of the date on that package of yeast! Nottingham, by the way.

Cool... the best flavor addition to this from yeast would be none, so that works out well.

Back