All I have is theory

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am bored.... all I have is time to plan and scheme brewing ideas while I'm deployed overseas and my carboys collect dust. Here is my latest brainstorm, probably not original but here it goes....

Chocolate Peppermint Metheglin
(5 gal)
12-14# Clover honey
2-4 OZ peppermint extract
8-10 oz unsweetened cocoa powder
Irish moss
water salts
Lavin D254

Chocolate Peppermint Malteglin
never done a Braggot before, but something similar to the previous recipe, but more honey to balance the malt. I would want it to be nice and dark, plenty of specialty malt. I don't know if I would use cocoa powder and chocolate malt.
Eventually tweak the recipe to a cold version of hot chocolate with a splash of peppermint schnapps.

You could give it around 4# of 2 Row, and 1/2# of Chocolate Malt, drop back to 10# of Honey. That could be a fantastic dessert mead. Something worth mixing with Coffee, or as a nice creamy Liqueur.
That would get you in the 1.091 range for your OG, and Maybe some Lactose or MaltoDex for mouthfeel an some sweetness.

Man...Just what I needed....another something to experiment on...but this sounds too good to pass up.

Let me know how this goes for whoever does it, unfortunately it has no appeal to me...and that may be a first...

sounds... interesting... this place gives tons of ideas.... i think my next project will be to crank out 11 or so generic gallons, then get 11 1 gallon thingies, and try 11 different secondaries...

but what really matters is you!

does it appeal to you? then do it! worst comes to worst you have a big party and drink it all.

% LB ppg °L
56% 11 Honey 33 5
28% 5.5 American Two-row Pale 37 1
6% 1.5 Chocolate Malt 34 475
5% 1.0 Malto-Dextrin 43 6
2% 0.5 German Carafa III 28 525

60min 2.0oz Hallertau pellet 3.1 aa

Original Gravity 1.122
Final Gravity 1.027
Color 54° SRM (Black)
6.2 HBU
25.1 IBU
12.2% A.B.V.

But sounds real good to me. But I'm thinking Mint choco chip icecream with a kick?

Back