Increasing pitching rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proofman

Reaction score
I make 1000 ml starters routinely. Use a 1000ml flask and a home made stirplate. I prepare them 24-48 hours before. A few hours before pitching I stick the yeast into the fridge to get them to flocculate so I can decant some of the liquid before pitching.

Question 1: Anny suggestions for my method?

Question 2: If I need to increase my pitching rate greater than capable with that starter above, just “do” the starter a couple of times to achieve this (e.g., after decanting liquid, add fresh wort to the starter, resuspend yeast, etc.).

I make 1000 ml starters routinely. Use a 1000ml flask and a home made stirplate. I prepare them 24-48 hours before. A few hours before pitching I stick the yeast into the fridge to get them to flocculate so I can decant some of the liquid before pitching.

Question 1: Anny suggestions for my method?

Question 2: If I need to increase my pitching rate greater than capable with that starter above, just “do” the starter a couple of times to achieve this (e.g., after decanting liquid, add fresh wort to the starter, resuspend yeast, etc.).

sounds great... for quick as possible starts add starter in actively fermenting state at the same temp as wort. Stepping up starter by adding more wort at around 1.025 SG.

Easy to make a few gallons of wort, bottle, and keep in the fridge so the hastle of creating the wort is only once in while... adding a few hop pellet can add some anti microbial against most beer spoilers...

Back