Camden Tablets, What are they?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpoc454

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how they work.
The way I understand it. They release a gas with sulfur in it that kills organisms in what you are making.
After 24-48 hours it will start to come out of solution and is helped on by shaking and stirring.

Some question that come to mind.

What form of sulfur is it to make it a gas?

Is it really a gas or some soluble compound form?

Does mixing oxygen into the solution, while shaking, push out the camden or does it some how inactivate it?

Once the yeast grows in cider, I often have heard and smelled myself, a sulfur smell stage where the smell from the air lock smells like sulfur. Is that natural or from the remaning sulfur being pushed out.
Its the only part of the process I've ever smelled sulfur. Not even during the shaking/stirring do I smell it.

Is the co2 pushing the sulfur out?

If it is being pushed out, how come people get reactions from sulfites in wines/ciders which use this?
Does some minute amount stay behind even with copious amounts of of CO2 pushing it around?

thanks for any info
jim

It's making sulfur dioxide. A little of the sulfite remains behind, so it isn't safe if you are allergic.

xpoc454 said:
Can someone explain to me how they work.
The way I understand it. They release a gas with sulfur in it that kills organisms in what you are making.
After 24-48 hours it will start to come out of solution and is helped on by shaking and stirring.

Some question that come to mind.

What form of sulfur is it to make it a gas?

Is it really a gas or some soluble compound form?

Does mixing oxygen into the solution, while shaking, push out the camden or does it some how inactivate it?

Once the yeast grows in cider, I often have heard and smelled myself, a sulfur smell stage where the smell from the air lock smells like sulfur. Is that natural or from the remaning sulfur being pushed out.
Its the only part of the process I've ever smelled sulfur. Not even during the shaking/stirring do I smell it.

Is the co2 pushing the sulfur out?

If it is being pushed out, how come people get reactions from sulfites in wines/ciders which use this?
Does some minute amount stay behind even with copious amounts of of CO2 pushing it around?

thanks for any info
jim

Campden tablets are Sodium Metabisulphite and disperse over time as you say releasing sulphur dioxide - It's not a 'rotten egg' smell (hydrogen sulphide) sometimes associated with yeast. Usually they need to be crushed before adding to home brews - the 'fumes' they release when you crush them or open the container can leave you gasping for air if you take a lung full - BEWARE! NOT GOOD. They DO mellow - I use them in wines (commercial UK Cider manufacturers use it too) but i'm not surprised that people are sensitive to it by any means. Small residues must stay in your batch so it depends if it affects you personally.

Latest posts

Back