Brewing in the rain!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave the Brewer

Reaction score
I'm a college student that enjoys to brew, I brew on the back porch of my apartment. I don't have any cover, I started pretty early this morning, and It was fair outside. I never checked the weather, so it starts lightly sprinkling, no big deal. Then the wind starts howling I just got my rolling boil; its still sprinkling. Now its time to add my hops, it starts pouring rain, thundering and lightning. I lose my rolling boil, so I throw the poncho on, throw the hops in, put the lid on the kettle! I love it! It finally pasted and I'm finishing up the cream stout that my girl friend requested. Just had to share a story. I'll have a good name for this brew.:rockin:

Well done.

I have brewed under an umbrella before now and had my boil double in time due to the wind.

I great init....

Well not at the time....beer is worth suffering for.

I named my Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale for a very similar brew day experience. Fortunately, I was under the porch roof, so it wasn't quite as miserable as what you describe.

I too brew outside, but in my garage. The worst experience I've had is brewing in a harsh Wisconsin winter. During a brew session (donned up in my sorels, down coat, hat, gloves, etc, of course with a beer), my beer would be seeing ice crystals in about 10 minutes. It must have been about 0 degrees at most that day, but the 10 gallons made turned out great!

I guess there was no need for a wort chiller! Tomorrows Christmas and the storm that blew in on me Friday was our first good cold front, its probably 50 F outside right now. Nothing freezes in south Texas!

Back