Is my beer old?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilvaRizla

Reaction score
I've only brewed one batch of beer that definatley worked and that was last year, due to other commitments my hobbie kind of layed dormant until yesterday when I started again.

The last beer I made I was pretty sure it wasn't good, so I just left it in the keg. I've just poured out a pint, its pretty flat but has plenty of head and is THE clearest beer I've ever seen. It also tastes pretty good and has no "off" smell or tastes, just a whole load of alcohol (I'd estimate its 8% as I over-primed)

Now, its been there for at least a year, so do you guys reckon its safe to drink?

Thanks

Should I take the advice of a total stranger when it comes to drinking something a year old?

In this case, most definatley.

I've just had another taste and its spot on

Cheers

yeah if it doesn't taste bad, then its still fine to drink.
you'd have to severly overprime with POUNDS of sugar to crank up your ABV by very much.
As I recall, 5oz of sugar for priming adds something like .1~.2% abv.

and you'd have a super carb'd beer, not a semi-flat one.

Hmmm

In that case maybe I put too much glucose in to start and the fermentation hadn't finished. I last took a sample of this about 8 months ago and it wasn't clear. It looked like a brew that had been clearing for maybe a week.

I have to say though, its fine. I'm just starting my fourth as I type this. My girlfriend reckons its the nicest bitter she's ever tasted (she doesn't drink anything unless its got vodka in it).

Its a very giggly beer too which is nice, I thought it was just me at first but not long ago she started chuckling for absolutley nothing

Fan-tan-tismo

Happy drinking everyone

Silva

the beer is most certainly poisonous and will probably give you erectile dysfunction if you drink it

please ship it to me immediately and I will safely dispose of it for you

he he he - well someone was going to say it sooner or later

I found some homebrews at my grandpa's house that were about 7-8 years old!!!

I drank them......

Hmmm, there's something magical about really old beer. I have yet to have the patience to allow one of my brews enouph time to become a year old.

with some friends right before moving we drank every last bottle of beer that was left over from 2 years of brewing, at least 4 from every batch.
It was amazing how much better my first brew tasted 2 years later. That and how my so over hopped red that no one would drink when I made it went in less than 2 hours (for 20 bottles). Old beer is good beer.

Latest posts

Back