State of the Union Blueberry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarathustra19

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 1010
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
8.5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 68F
Tasting Notes
Crisp, slightly tart, with light blueberry flavor.
5.04 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
2.80 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
1.32 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) 16.8 IBU
0.70 lb Blueberries (Boil 0.0 min)
4.20 lb Blueberries (Primary 7.0 days)
4.20 lb Blueberries (Secondary 7.0 days)
1 Pkgs American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010)

Procedure:
Add .7lb blueberries at flameout, cool wort and rack to fermenter on top of 4.2lb blueberries. Rack to secondary after a week on top of an additional 4.2lb of blueberries.

Notes: Did not take into account how much liquid would be absorbed by frozen blueberries. This resulted in the top of the fermenter blowing off, not from gas, but from expanding fruit (my fermenter at the time was a converted 5 gallon pickle bucket and the problem has been solved with a 7 gallon fermenter).

I took a twelve pack of this beer to a family reunion on July 4, 2011 and it was gone within an hour. Planning on making more in a few weeks.

Cheers!

Edit: I'm also thinking of adding some specialty grains for body. Maybe 1/2lb of carapils steeped before the boil. Any suggestions would help!

Looks interesting. My wife loves blueberry wheat beer. I would definetely go for some specialty grains.

Back