Blueberry Bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfoneill

Reaction score
First attempt at making a brew that is my own recipe not a store bought kit:drunk:

Blueberry Bomb
SG:1.060
FG:1.014

Ingredients:
• 6.6lbs Irks Wheat extract
• 1-2 lbs Amber Dry Malt Extract
• 2 cups Carapils
• 1 1/2 oz Hallatter hops (bittering)
• 1 tsp Irish moss
• 1/2 Saaz hops (finishing)
• 3 1/2 quarts FROZEN blueberries added to help cool wort (pureed)
• 1 cup corn sugar for priming
• Safebrew WB-06 yeast and 1 quart starter

Directions
Put cracked Carapils in cold water and leave in until just before boil. Add Wheat extract and DME and boil. Added Bittering hops boil 25min. Add Irish moss, boil 30min. Add finish hops boil 2 min, Remove from heat. Put pot in sink of cool/cold water and add Blueberries. Remove hopbag(a lot easier than straining them out). Put everything in 6 1/2 gal bucket or carboy fill to 6 gal mark with water and pitch yeast.

60F Transfer to secondary after 5-7 days. Leave in secondary 7-14 days depending on clarity you may want to use gelitin or polyclar to help settle things out(5-7 days before bottling). Bottle with 1 cup corn sugar.

Interested to hear. Want pictures too. Doesn't seem quite long enough to sit on the fruit to really absorb the flavor and mellow out.

I found this hit after trying to find out more about Irks wheat extract. Curiously, this looks an awful lot like this recipe (which I'm about to attempt - as my starter is brewing):
http://beerrecipes.org/showrecipe.php?recipeid=619

I'm also curious how it came out. The Yeast is the only thing I can see that's different. Curious.

As this was my first attempt at a non kit brew it didn't come out like I thought it would. Was slightly on the bitter side but still had a decent flavor and color. I would try to add maybe some honey or something else that is sweet and maybe let it sit in the primary longer. I guess it is hit and miss. I had made a Cranberry Maibock that had honey in it and it came out great. Slight fruity taste and packed a punch at 9.5% ABV but that was from a kit from Mr. Beer. I kept a list of the ingredients for that and going to try that but substitute blueberries in place of the cranberry

Back