Rotten grain smell... HELP?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PurpleJeepXJ

Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I just bottled a batch of hefe and it kinda smells like rotten grain. If you have ever left grain in the mlt for a couple days... that kind of smell. Not the sulfur smell typically associated with a hefe. Suggestion or input would help a lot!!

So I just bottled a batch of hefe and it kinda smells like rotten grain. If you have ever left grain in the mlt for a couple days... that kind of smell. Not the sulfur smell typically associated with a hefe. Suggestion or input would help a lot!!

I just brewed my first all grain batch and didn't clean out the mlt until the next day. Smelled sour and i assumed something like lacto got to work on the warm grain. Probably not a good idea because I likely need to thoroughly sanitize my mlt now in order to keep this from affecting my next mash. Hopefully your hefe didn't smell like this.

Otherwise, young beers might smell odd with no actual problems, so the best, and only remedy for your concerns is to wait a few weeks and see how it smells then.

Well I have been doing AG for awhile and brewing for even longer so I know what a lacto infection looks like and there was nothing visibly wrong with this beer. It sat in primary for a week and then secondary for 2 more. My plan is to let it bottle condition for about a month. I usually drink my beer no matter how crappy it turns out. Just was wondering if anyone had had this smell before in a beer.

Back