Slime Like Beer after 1 week!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I just made 10 gallons of nut brown. Took a gravity reading after 4 days OG = 1.045 - FG = 1.014 at this point and still going. I noticed that the water in the blowoff bucket turned to slimy gel for some reason. No biggie I thought.

So I noticed tonight that my sample was thick, kind of slimey and tasted a bit sour.

I am assuming I should dump this batch asap and sanitize/clean like crazy.

Wow, never seen anything like this before.

I knew there was something not quite right when my WLP007 starters didn't clear, so I already think I know where this infection came from. Infection during my starter process and pitched the yeast anyways. IDIOT

Ugh. Sounds like it might be a Pediococcus infection. Bad juju. If the slime looks ropey, that'd be pretty conclusive. And if that's the case, dump it, and sanitize the heck out of everything that even got near your brew process...

Better luck next brew!

Ugh. Sounds like it might be a Pediococcus infection. Bad juju. If the slime looks ropey, that'd be pretty conclusive. And if that's the case, dump it, and sanitize the heck out of everything that even got near your brew process...

Better luck next brew!

I just dumped the first fermenters worth, it took a LONG time for it to go down the drain. Thick, syrupy, smelled wierd, tasted sour and was cloudy.

right around 11 gallons down the drain and another lesson learned. The bad thing is one of my fermenters is plastic. It is currently soaking in 150 degree water with a crapload of oxyclean and bleach.

The other 5 gallons is in glass and still sitting there. I will dump that crap tomorow.

Thank God it was only a 1.045 nutbrown with minimal hops.

Back