Short's anniversary wheat wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamWiz

Reaction score
Howdy howdy, fellow brewers,
I was lucky enough to get my hands on a bottle of Short's anniversary wheat wine w/ blood oranges. AMAZING. Can't get it out of my head, and now a wheat wine must be brewed post haste. I have seen a lot of references to Sam Calagione's blood orange hefe, so I think I'll use that method for the blood oranges. But wheat wine is a new style to me. I have only tasted this and New Holland's "pilgrim's dole". So as for variations within the style,I have no clue. I am thinking an alcohol content around 10%, a 50/50 split of wheat and 2-row, plus a bit of crystal. What yeast would you use for such a high gravity brew? I would rather use an ale yeast rather than champagne, but don't want a stuck fermentation. I know I can just search the recipes database, but I always find it more useful to get some fresh input from someone who has brewed something similar. I am planning a 3 gallon batch, since that is the only empty carboy space I have right now(plus I know it's going to be a pretty hefty grain bill)Any wheat wine notes and experiences are appreciated. I have never brewed anything so high gravity, and have never needed to use rice hulls before either. I am putty in your hands - show me the way

-Adam

It's basically just a big American wheat beer. Lots of wheat, lots of hops.

You can go 8-10% on the alcohol. You could just ferment it with 05 or another neutral ale strain or if you want some wheat strain flavors you could do that instead. 8-10% is not high enough to have to worry about champagne yeast.

Rice hulls will definitely be necessary for a standard mash (but obviously not for BIAB).

Back