Service panel question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
I just ran a 100 amp service to my brew shed, it's an 80 ft run. Is there a need for a disconnect at the box? Of course there's a 100 amp breaker in the main panel, and the brew shed panel is a 6 double space box. There's no need for another 100 amp breaker is there? There aren't that many spaces to begin with.

Nope

They are 2 different types of panel. If you need a 100 Amp disconnect, it's a different animal than a 100 amp "Sub panel"

But I didn't have to install a disconnect after the main breaker (In the main panel) for my garage sub panel...

Nope

They are 2 different types of panel. If you need a 100 Amp disconnect, it's a different animal than a 100 amp "Sub panel"

But I didn't have to install a disconnect after the main breaker (In the main panel) for my garage sub panel...

Cool, just double checking. I want to do things right even though there's no inspection.

Not true, it can depend on your local codes! Here we have a fire code that says anytime you run electricity to an separate building you HAVE to have disconnect located on the outside of it, with no more then 3 separate operations.

As for NEC, you do not need a Main Breaker for your sub-panel, as long as it is rated for 100amps. Make sure it is not one of those 60amp panels, but a true 100amp Load Center.

Not true, it can depend on your local codes!

As for NEC, you do not need a Main Breaker for your sub-panel, as long as it is rated for 100amps. Make sure it is not one of those 60amp panels, but a true 100amp Load Center.

Local codes, your funny. We do as we please here in White County. That's probably why a house burns down every week here.:D

It is a 100amp load center, of that i'm positive.

Not true, it can depend on your local codes! Here we have a fire code that says anytime you run electricity to an separate building you HAVE to have disconnect located on the outside of it, with no more then 3 separate operations.

True - Mine is rated 125 amps - Though I only have 50 amps feeding it.

But, you are referring to a disconnect outside the building? Not a main breaker inside the sub panel?

N.E.C. says that if you can kill all the circuits with 6 or fewer hand movements, no main is needed (except the one in your feeder panel of course).

Back