No krausen on starter yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chap

Reaction score
I pitched my starter yeast Saturday at 1400 and I have yet to see any real activity but there is a pretty good layer of yeast at the bottom om my jug. Do you think this yeast is ok to use for the Stout (extract w/ steeping grains) I am about to brew?

starter yeast spec:
pitched 5/29 1400
WLP001
1 cup light DME 4 cups water (possibly too much water?)
pitched at 75°
1 gallon wine jug

I think your fine. Did you shake the starter at all? I always pitch a starter the night before I brew and then dump the whole starter into the primary. Sometimes I get a krausen, sometimes I don't but my primary is always fermenting away within 3-4 hours. I also use a stir plate with my starters tho.....

see the nice layer of flocculated yeast? you will never really see much krausen unless you use a stir plate. i always add a pellet or two of whatever hop i have opened to see a skoesch of head. it appears you don't have a stir plate, so i recommend swirling the starters as often as practical when you are home.

I rarely ever see a krausen on starters. What only matters is the creamy layer of yeast on the bottom.

I guess it depends on when/how you pitch your starters. I pitch mine within 18 hours when fermentation is at full activity. Some let the fermentation of the starter end then decant etc but I have never had any flavor change from pitching the whole starter. Just personal preference I guess.

Thanks for all the replies folks. Guess I was a little confused after reading so many posts/ write ups about starter yeasts... didn't even think about the stir plate making that much of a difference. I did shake it often, probably every couple of hours. Pitched it tonight on a Stout at 1930, we'll see how long it takes to start working.

Really appreciate the replies and the knowledge!

Looks like you guys nailed it. This was 8 hours after pitching the yeast. Thanks for the advice!

Back