Simarillo IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PorterIdontknowher

Reaction score
Here's what I'm planning for tomorrow... comments welcome on changes...

6 lbs Northern Brewer Pilsner LME
1.5 lbs Briess Gold DME
8oz Caravienne
4oz Crystal 20L

1.25oz Magnum (10%AA) @60min

0.5oz Amarillo (9.1%AA) @20min
0.5oz Simcoe (12.1%AA)@20min

0.5oz Amarillo @5min
0.25oz Simcoe @5min

0.75oz Amarillo dryhop
0.25oz Simcoe dryhop

US-05

According to Hopville:
OG 1.058 FG 1.016
ABV 5.6% IBU 51.6

I only have 1 oz of Simcoe, but have more magnum and amarillo
I have more Caravienne and DME, along with some darker crystals (40L, Special B) sitting around
but want to use up the 4 oz of 20L I have...

Thoughts?

I wouldf use all the simcoe late in the boil with more amarillo..shoot for 70 ibu. Then just dry hop with amarillo and magnum (I know magnum isn't a common dryhop but it works)...other than that looks good. I really think you need more hops from 10 minutes on though

Any Columbus handy? I made the "Columbarillo" that was in Zymurgy a while back which included Amarillo, Columbus and Simcoe. Delicious. Montanaandy

I'm brewing one of the same name but a little different recipe (this one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/s-ipa-118158/) , the day after yours. :)

Good luck! :mug:

That recipe makes it tempting for me to throw a little of the special B I have sitting around (maybe 2-3 oz) to replace some of the caravienne...

The other hop I have sitting in the freezer is Willamette...

And calling it Ama/coe might be in bad taste right now considering that Amaco merged with BP... unless its a black as oil IPA... ;-)

Well, as an update, what I actually brewed tastes awesome :rockin:

It became a Simarilloette IPA

Some of the amounts were because I was using up some leftover specialty grains otherwise I would have used a full 4oz

3.5oz Crystal 20L
3.75oz Special B 145L
8oz Caravienne

6 lbs Northern Brewer Pilsner LME
1.5lbs Briess Gold DME

1.5oz Magnum 10%AA @60
.5oz Simcoe 12.2% @ 20
.5oz Amarillo 9.1% @ 20
.5oz Willamette 4.8% @20
.5oz Amarillo @ 5
.5oz Simcoe @ 5

Dry hop
1oz Amarillo, .25 oz Willamette for 7 days

US-05

OG 1.059
FG 1.009
~66 IBU

Really a nice hoppy flavor, great aroma, bitter without killing your tastebuds. IPA fans liked it, and a non-IPA lover said "If more IPAs tasted like this, I'd like more IPAs."

This recipe is similar to "Columbarillo" which was a gold medal winner featured in Zymurgy a while back. Columbarillo uses Amarillo, Columbus, & Simcoe (perhaps Centennial but I can't recall) and is one of my favorite beers. The AG version uses a large amount of 2-Row (around 12+ lbs) and I think a bit of Crystal. I have brewed this using Wyeast PacMan, American Ale II, American Ale, and it turned out great each time (the recipe calls for Am Ale II). Montanaandy

Back