Oh no - forgot to mix!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulax25

Reaction score
Bottled my first batch of beer and everything seemed ok. But after only two days in the bottles, I have noticed a small amount of sediment (presumably yeast) on the bottom of each bottle. The only thing I can think I did wrong was not really "mixing" my priming sugar.

I usd about 3/4 cup of priming sugar, boiled in two cups of water and dumped into the bottling bucket. Then I siphoned the beer from my secondary to the bottling bucket, then bottled. I never stirred the beer in the bottling bucket to ensure the sugar got mixed!! I guess I just assumed that siphoning on top of it would mix it in. Is this flawed logic, or am I ok??

I did the same thing to my first brew. Most of my bottles turned out well. Some were under carbonated, some were hissing. My second batch, I made sure to give it a few stirs before I bottled it. I did have to dump a few bottles, but it may have been an improper seal vice not mixing the sugar. I would say, most, if not all of your bottles will turn out fine. I would just give it a few stirs next time.

Wulax,

You are perfectly okay. You are supposed to get a small layer of yeast at the bottom of each bottle. That's perfectly normal and expected.

You bottled it just right. I wouldn't recommend any changes to your methods.

Give those bottles a couple weeks and you're going to have some delicious brew!

Yeah, Wulax, just wulax... I mean relax. :D

Like Orpheus said, you're supposed to get a layer of sediment in the bottom of each bottle.

Siphoning the beer on top of the priming sugar will cause enough motion in the bucket to mix the sugar throughout. Don't think about changing your procedures until you are sure that they didn't work. I have used the same method on all of my beers and I haven't had any bottles be over or under-carbonated.

Back