Fermentation chamber temp probe location

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesutton3

Reaction score
I converted a mini fridge to a fermentaiton chamber this week. I have a Ranco controller to control the temps. So far I've been testing it with nothing in the fridge and its holding temps pretty well. When I put my wort in to ferment where should I put the temp probe? I know a thermowell would be best choice but I don't have one or any stainless tubing to make one right now. My plan is to brew this Saturday so I will need the chamber tomorrow.

Any suggestions?

Ideally, I would suggest using a thermowell. The guy at Stirplates.com ( a vendor here also) does a great job and good prices.

On mine, I share the t-well and a 1/2 blowoff tube in a #10 (? ) stopper on my better bottle. As a test, I set my freezer to 66*, waited 12 hours, and measured the temp inside the thermowell. 6* difference! So, when I thought my beer was fermenting at 66, it would have been 72. Fixed that !

+1

Taping the probe to the side of the carboy or bucket will read the temperature of the liquid without having to worry about the chance of infection from actually putting something into the beer.

Back