School me on beginners home made soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewFoSho

Reaction score
Sorry I'm being lazy.....I've tried finding an answer quick and havent found what I'm looking for. Simply. I want to know what it takes to make a home made soda that I can put in my keezer. I have the 5 gallon soda kegs (usually for my homebrew haha) now can I just simply put water/ an extract (which one/where to buy??) / and force carb for a few days to make soda??? I know I would need a seconday regulator for the higher psi of carbing soda (well I think from what I read). Can someone point me in the right direction? Since I can force carb I don't need yeast correct? Thanks for the info.

Sincerely,
Greg

You can either make a homemade soda (I have a ginger ale recipe posted) or do the water/extract mix. Sprecher Root Beer extract is a winner, but more expensive than the Gnome and McMormick types.

Mix it up. Put it in the kegerator at 30-40 psi, and it should be carbed up in a few days. To serve at that high psi, you'll need about 25' of 3/16" line. I just coil it around the keg.

Root beer will NEVER come out of the keg or the lines, so I have one keg for rootbeer and one super long line for it.

You can either make a homemade soda (I have a ginger ale recipe posted) or do the water/extract mix. Sprecher Root Beer extract is a winner, but more expensive than the Gnome and McMormick types.

Mix it up. Put it in the kegerator at 30-40 psi, and it should be carbed up in a few days. To serve at that high psi, you'll need about 25' of 3/16" line. I just coil it around the keg.

Root beer will NEVER come out of the keg or the lines, so I have one keg for rootbeer and one super long line for it.

I'm not sure what you mean in the last line. I think you're saying you can't use like a 10-12ft normal beer line for soda? I have heard it needs to be longer since the carbonation is higher. Would I have to worry about the extract "settling" to the bottom of the keg. I'm not sure how long it would take me to drink 5 gallons of soda . Probably a lot longer than 5 gallons of beer haha. I have plenty of cornie's so I can set a couple to the side just for soda that would never be used for beer anyways.

Or you can go this route, I prefer it as I don't have to worry about soda flavor permeating the O rings.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f95/two-kegs-im-sold-using-syrups-variety-rocks-198326/

This also seems like a very cool option. I will have to read through that whole thread.

I'm not sure what you mean in the last line. I think you're saying you can't use like a 10-12ft normal beer line for soda? I have heard it needs to be longer since the carbonation is higher. Would I have to worry about the extract "settling" to the bottom of the keg. I'm not sure how long it would take me to drink 5 gallons of soda . Probably a lot longer than 5 gallons of beer haha. I have plenty of cornie's so I can set a couple to the side just for soda that would never be used for beer anyways.

This also seems like a very cool option. I will have to read through that whole thread.

What she means is that you will never get the flavor and smell out of the keg or lines. Root Beer wills oak in.

You will have to use a carb calculator to know how much line to use. Higher pressure equals more line.

Back