Chocolate stout recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Related: Anyone ever used Chocolate Extract in their beer? I have some laying around because I make my own Coffee Liqueur, too. Seems like a natural addition to me.

I brewed AHS's Chocolate Raspberry Stout a few months back. It's the best beer I've brewed so far (out of 8 or so extract batches). I remember reading that the double chocolate stout is the same as the chocolate raspberry stout minus the raspberry flavoring. I don't think you can go wrong.

We've used unsweetened baking chocolate in two batches so far with good results. It adds a slight dryness, so we countered the first time with lactose and the 2nd with maltodextrin.

I've never tried a flavored extract, so I'm no help there.

Related: Anyone ever used Chocolate Extract in their beer? I have some laying around because I make my own Coffee Liqueur, too. Seems like a natural addition to me.

Well, I'd think that the real thing is so easy to use, it isn't worth using the extract. Maybe if it was already in the fermenter, but I wanted more of a chocolate "kick" to it, I'd add some of the extract. Otherwise I'd just use a measured amount of baker's chocolate or cocoa powder.

i made the AHS double chocolate stout a few months back and it was excellent. nice chocolate bitter flavor. my wife (who always tries my beers but really is more of a wine person) even liked it enough that she requested a pint here or there. i just wished i saved a little to blend a little cherry lambic in. go for it.

Back