Feed Store Ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
Just visited a feed store. They have 50lb bags of rolled barley, rolled corn, cracked corn and whole corn for 11-12 bucks. None of it is malted. I'm wondering what it would take to mill the corn down to useable size. That and what kind of corn should I get, rolled, cracked or whole? Rolled barley, what would it take to use it in beer? I figure if I go 50/50 pale us malt and feed store stuff there'd be plenty of enzymes to convert. I knew someone who used chicken feed once to make a beer... believe it or not it was good. Wasn't award winning but it was alot better than I could have imagined it would be. Anyone have experience with feed store grains? Anyone have any ideas?

works great for moonshine but I wouldnt use it in beer. if you want to try anyway make absolutely certain it doesnt have anything added to, anything on the grain is going to be in your beer. go with the rolled corn or barley since it wont need to be milled.

Rolled corn will be easier to mash, but the whole corn will have a much longer shelf-life and, as mentioned, you could malt it.

Someone on another post said that rolled corn is the same as flaked and rolled barley is flaked. Is there subtle differences between the 2 or is this correct?

Back