Using Beer Gas with Lagers or Ales.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 20lb tank and had it filled with beer gas (75%nitro / 25% CO2). My small tank (5lb) ran out and I have hooked up my beer gas to my keg until I can refill the small one.

How does beer gas affect a Lager or Ale? Will it be a negative or positive result? Is this something I can always do or would you recommend staying away from this setup?

All feedback is greatly appreciated.

Salute! :mug:

Can you get a little more specific on what styles you're curious about? For example, Stouts are ales and do great with beer gas. Hefe's are ales, but I wouldn't put it on beer gas. Don't know that Lagers would be any good on beer gas either.

PS: Oh, and beer gas is typically used with a stout faucet. Doesn't mean it always has to be a stout. Several breweries here often have stouts, bitters, ipa's, etc on "nitro"

I know that a Nitro Mix gas is used in "Long Draw" Draft Systems (for all beer types) on a regular basis because the Nitro doesn't get absorbed into the Beer, so I know it is done.

But I don't know what the mix is.

Sorry for the lack of info. I have a stout tap and a stout in the primary. This is why I originally purchased the 20lb tank. The total cost for the tank and mix was $80.00 so I could not pass it up.

The current brew on tap is a Belgian Wit. I had only planned on using the beer gas until I replenished the 5lb tank with CO2. As of today, I have not done so. I was just curious about what to expect and if there were any damaging side effects.

the mix for the ales and lagers is 60/40.

it should make much difference if your using it temporarily,

i have no idea about long term though

The current brew on tap is a Belgian Wit. I had only planned on using the beer gas until I replenished the 5lb tank with CO2. As of today, I have not done so. I was just curious about what to expect and if there were any damaging side effects.

http://www.rapidswholesale.com/resources/beer_guide4.shtml said:
A solution is to use an inert gas that doesn’t interact with either the CO2 or the beer. Nitrogen is the gas most commonly used. A system using nitrogen as the mixer gas with CO2 diminishes the chances of both over carbonation and oxidation. The down side is that nitrogen must be purchased in bulk tanks and delivered by the gas vendor.

No ill effects. Everything will be fine. You'll find it's costlier to run on a "beer mix" because the "mixed tanks" are more expensive.

Back