Honey Peach Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got 5g of cider from my buddy who runs a cidery, as well as a crate of peach seconds he brought back from market.. I juiced the peaches and boiled it to pasturize it, think that's okay to use instead of supermarket peach nectar?

I have no clue. I'm assuming nectar is either juice or concentrate. Your gonna have to google that one for more details lol.

Once in the bottling bucket/keg, back sweeten with 1# of Orange Blossom honey and 1 bottle of Looza Organic Peach Nectar(34ozs). I heat the honey up in the microwave so its easier to get out of the bottle and mix into solution. This is just my preference of nectar to use but really you can just add to taste.

Do you add priming sugar to this mixture, or do you add enough honey and juice to make it just slightly sweeter than you want it to end up?

Do you add priming sugar to this mixture, or do you add enough honey and juice to make it just slightly sweeter than you want it to end up?

Add the amount of juice and honey I have listed. This is enough sugar to carb the batch and sweeten the overall profile. Just remember to pasteurize the batch after 2-3 days or you'll have bottle bombs. Very important that last part!

Just curious when you started seeing activity in your batches on average after pitching the Notty. 12 hours? 24? 48?

Typically 24 hours or less. Notty usually gets going pretty quick. Then again I aerate with an oxygen wand so that helps a lot. You won't get much if any krausen with cider in case thats what you were looking for.

Cool, thanks! It's going at a good pace now. Took about 26 hours before I noticed any activity. You mentioned an oxygen wand. Do you keep that in the batch for the entire fermenting process or just for a day or so?

Easy enough. Another question though. I know typically you don't want to stir or move your primary much with beer, but in this cider I added some blended granny smith apples. They are all just floating at the top, would it harm the batch if I were to swirl it quite a bit just to get some of the flavors and sugars from those down into the cider? I wanted to add a bit of tartness.

I did not. There are only 6 apples worth though. What effect do the skins have? I could be very careful and remove them if needed.

At this point I'd leave them in fruit skins are known to have wild yeast on them. You could have no issue but it's worth knowing so you can give your equipment a good cleaning afterwards.

Ok. I did give them a good cleaning before slicing and blending them. So hopefully they are ok.

All turned out well, had one 220z bottle go off in my kettle during pasteurization, it was more like a geyser than a bomb so no injuries just cider all over the ceiling.. :) I dropped to 180-185 for the remaining batches and no issues..

I added more sugars to mine to get a bit more abv and I'm wondering if the following is possible or if I am doing something wrong:

I used 5 gallons of apple cider, 6 granny smith apples washed and blended, and 1 full bottle of peach nectar. I measured a starting gravity of 1.054 and pitched my notty. It has been in primary for 11 days and I was curious so I took a gravity reading today and got 1.005 which means abv is already around 6.5%? Sound right to you? If so, can I just go ahead and bottle now? Don't want much of a higher abv than that...

I added more sugars to mine to get a bit more abv and I'm wondering if the following is possible or if I am doing something wrong:

I used 5 gallons of apple cider, 6 granny smith apples washed and blended, and 1 full bottle of peach nectar. I measured a starting gravity of 1.054 and pitched my notty. It has been in primary for 11 days and I was curious so I took a gravity reading today and got 1.005 which means abv is already around 6.5%? Sound right to you? If so, can I just go ahead and bottle now? Don't want much of a higher abv than that...

That's about right but the peach nectar is supposed to be added with the honey after fermentation. That way you get the peach flavor/sugars and dilute the cider down a little. I don't know how much different it will be the way you did it.
Everything else is about right on track. It won't ferment much lower and if it does it goes really slow. Usually I bottle/keg after ~21 days.

Ok cool. I actually bought two bottles of peach nectar. One for added sugars in primary, one for back sweetening along with the honey.

Does it still need to be producing gas when I bottle, or does that not matter?

Ok cool. I actually bought two bottles of peach nectar. One for added sugars in primary, one for back sweetening along with the honey.

Does it still need to be producing gas when I bottle, or does that not matter?

It should be fermented out or close to it. I shoot for 1.010 for lower, which your already at. Backsweetening will kick in quick though and prime the bottles a lot faster than beer.

This is an incredibly easy, tasty, and cheap cider to make. Its become a big hit with everyone that's tried it at beer tasting events.

You get however many gallons of Publix brand Apple Cider you want to make, though this recipe is for 6 gallons. Add it to a sanitized carboy. I like to put 3 gallons in the freezer, one gallon in the fridge, and leave 2 gallons out. This way its already cold and I dont have to chill it before pitching. Once your close to 65f pitch your Notty and close it up. Thats it for a little over 2 weeks. Once its fermented and the yeast has settled out rack over to your bottling bucket. At this point you have a base for making almost any cider you can imagine. From experimenting I've found adding honey at bottling time really brings out the apple flavor. Ive also done variations using tart cherry juice, pear nectar, black cherry juice, guava nectar, and am currently working on a ginger version.

Once in the bottling bucket/keg, back sweeten with 1# of Orange Blossom honey and 1 bottle of Looza Organic Peach Nectar(34ozs). I heat the honey up in the microwave so its easier to get out of the bottle and mix into solution. This is just my preference of nectar to use but really you can just add to taste.

Once everything has been mixed in its ready to bottle up. At this point I open one up every other day to see when its carbed to where I like it. Usually it only takes 3-4 days. From there pasteurize all the bottles using the stove top method. Dont let the bottles get too carbed otherwise the pasteurizing process can be extremely dangerous. And you cant not pasteurize this recipe unless your kegging because all the sugar that was added at bottling will create bottle bombs. Now your ready to chill it and enjoy :tank:

When you say notty I'm assuming you mean Nottingham yeast? Still new and learning the lingo

So even though my batch has only been in for 12 days, could I go ahead and bottle if I'm happy with the abv? Is there any downside to bottling before ~2 weeks?

Cider turned out great! However, while pasturizing about 1/3 of them released their carb in the water bath. Any tips on preventing that in the future?

Cider turned out great! However, while pasturizing about 1/3 of them released their carb in the water bath. Any tips on preventing that in the future?

Glad to hear you enjoy it! Make sure the bottles are standard size. If you recycle bottles sometimes you come across some that aren't quite the same size and don't cap right. Other than that you shouldn't have an issue unless you wait too long before pasteurizing. Next time around I'd pasteurize them a little sooner and see if that helps.

Found out what the issue was. Don't laugh too hard. I unknowingly used some recycled twist off bottles for some of them... didn't get a good seal on the cap obviously.

Bottled this on Sunday, opened my first one today (tuesday) to check the carbination. I got a gusher, and the gusher got all over my bar :smack:

But what cider I actually got wasn't carbed at all, is this because none of the co2 made it into solution yet? I know from reading that honey may take longer to carb...

How much longer should I wait before I try again?

I usually open 1 a day. How long did you have it in the fridge before you opened it? You may have not given it enough time for the co2 to go into solution. You should be ready to pasteurize within 2-4 days after bottling but I'd check another bottle or two first. If they're overcarbed you don't want to try and pasteurize them.

I made peach cider of the summer and very quickly found that carboy was infested with bacteria in some micro-scratches. Even with all the cleanings I did it never did clear out, so 5 gallons of delicious cider down the drain.

What if I wanted to keg/force carb this instead of bottling. What do I need to add to stop the yeast from fermenting more in the keg.

Nothing the yeast will go dormant and fall out. I add the juice to keg then slowly add the honey as the cider racks over into the keg. Close it up, throw in the keezer, and carry on

Back