Reconditioning Cornies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgeebc

Reaction score
I bought my first cornie and I need to clean and recondition it to fill. I can't seem to get the lid off though. I released the pressure and pulled up the lock. Is the lid supposed to push in or pull out? Neither is working. Any tips?

You want to push it in. Most likely it's covered with so much pop residue that it is practically welded on. Pouring some hot water on it will probably loosen it up enough that you won't crack your knuckles trying to knock it loose. :)

be careful pressing down too hard. i once had one that was stuck, and i just pushed harder. it finally moved, but very quickly, and i cut myself on the lip of the opening.

the hot water sounds like a good idea. you could soak it upside down in the hot water?

another option is to get a piece of wood and a hammer, and forcibly get it unstuck - be careful with this though, you don't want to bend any of the metal.

Lift the bale in the straight up position and give it a whack with the palm of your hand down into the keg. I've opened 30 or so like this and I've seen some real stuck lids.

Back