1st Brew this past Saturday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racedog

Reaction score
Mostly went well with only 1 minor/major(?) screw up. Oatmeal Stout and fly sparge.

The fly sparge was a bit quicker than anticipated. I barely had the valve open.

Mashed in 12.53 Qts of water and sparged with 5.35 Gal of water. The full amount went through in 45 minutes...leaving me with roughly 8 Gal for preboil. (I was shooting for 7 Gal over 1 hour)

These figures came from Beersmith and a "suggested" settings for equipement in the BS FAQ...I see these will need to be adjusted.

I just boiled until the calculated mark on the boil pot for 5.5 Gal...I was thinking 5.25 Gal to carboy. Well, after turning off the flame and cooling, I ended up with maybe 4.5 Gal. Checked OG (1.055). Tasted like Brownee with a late hint of coffee. (first time trying unfermented wort....good, bad, who knows?) Pitched with Nottingham at 70F. It began slight bubbling in 7-8 hours. Aggressive bubble after 24 Hrs. 1 bubble in about 5 minutes of looking at it at 48 hours. All in a basement that has been reading 60F. Brew at 69-70.

p243512333-3.jpg

nice job! welcome to the addiction. :mug:

you're using Notty, that can kick some nasty $h*t when fermented warm, i'd recommend getting the temps into the mid or even low 60s. Notty's a nice clean yeast in the low 60s to high 50s.

nice job! welcome to the addiction. :mug:

you're using Notty, that can kick some nasty $h*t when fermented warm, i'd recommend getting the temps into the mid or even low 60s. Notty's a nice clean yeast in the low 60s to high 50s.
OK....Higher temps were yesterday at high activity. I just checked now and it is 66F...hopefully the day at 60-70 didn't make it guano :eek:

Won't be guano, unless of course that's what you were going for and added guano to the boil.:ban:
Good rule of thumb, pitch and ferment at the low end of the range temp wise. I do most ales at ~62. I pitched an English brown today that's at 59. Cooler temps limit yeast derived flavors.

Back