is 2 week enough for a lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonypr24

Reaction score
I've had a lager on my mini brew for 2 weeks. The fermentation was completed in 4 days but i've kept it in the minibrew and dumping the yeast for 2 weeks but i am done dumping all the yeast. Is 2 weeks enough to keg or should i leave it longer for ageing..

The word lager, means "to store."
You need to leave your lager in the cold for a couple of months. This allows the beer to condition and clean up the byproducts of fermentation that lager yeast produces.

I usually do my bulk aging in the keg. That being said 2 weeks is pretty quick even for an ale let alone a lager. You might want to wait longer for a lager. It's a shame to drink an entire keg of green beer and the only the last few pints taste like it's done..

Was it really a lager or a lager kit? What was your fermentation temp? I've got 5 lagers right now though in different stages and they were just getting cranked at 4 days. It's not until about 3 weeks that the yeast starts to drop.

it was an all grain kit from midwest supply, my SG was 1.060 and by the 5th day it was 1.014

Mine are horrible at 5 weeks, in 6 weeks I can drink it, it takes a couple of weeks to get to the bottom of the keg. The last draw is actually really good.

Lagering times vary depending on the beer. One could make a lager that can finish lagering in 2 weeks. For example, if one brewed a very light lager with a low OG (1.030s) and high attenuation (low dextrin content), that could lager for two weeks and be ready to bottle/keg.

For the average lager though, 1 week for every 8 points of OG is a good rule of thumb.

Back