Apple Bee (Woodchuck Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made this last weekend and pitched yeast sat evening. No fermenting. I used a little brown sugar and used American hefe yeast. Any thoughts on what to do next to get it to ferment?

I used a yeast cake I had saved and used a quart or two of apple juice to get it started. Make sure to test the gravity to make sure. You can always re-pitch a new pack.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Not sure. I've made this only once so I'm not the expert yet. Almost certain I used safale 04 (English). I'm going to make it again soon but I wasn't planning on changing the yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well I went to bottle a six pack today and my keg ran out after two bottles. So I'll be "brewing" this again real soon, probably next weekend. I might try the graff recipe, or this one again. I haven't decided.

I transferred this to my secondary and gravity was 1.008. Tasted super sour. Any suggestions to get sweeter?

Not sure, I've only made it once. I wouldn't say my batch was sour at any point. You may want to check out the graff thread, you and I seem to be the only ones keeping this one alive. If it's overly tart or dry you can always bump up the malt on your next batch. That seems to be the main idea as I understand it - the malt provides some body and sweetness since it doesn't ferment complete to dry like the apple juice will. I did a batch this weekend but basically made graff with no hops. Just experimenting to find that personal sweet spot.

A thought on this - was your batch only juice and brown sugar? I've done that and it turns out more like ed wort's apfelwein which goes vey dry and tart. I decided to try this one and the graff because I wanted it a little sweeter.

DSmith - I never used a wheat yeast. I've always used American or English ale yeast. I liked this recipe but I tried the Graff recipe after this and liked Graff much better myself. This is not a bad recipe by any means though. My two cents.

I did the original recipe and it turned out sour. I may have messed it up but used the wheat yeast. I didn't enjoy it, but may have messed it up.

DSmith - I never used a wheat yeast. I've always used American or English ale yeast. I liked this recipe but I tried the Graff recipe after this and liked Graff much better myself. This is not a bad recipe by any means though. My two cents.

Thanks. I've made Edwort's Apfelwein a few times and Graham's English Cider once now. Graham's cider ended up a little more sour than apfelwein, but both are refreshing. I think either sticking to those or trying a Graff is safer. This cider has more chocolate malt than my American Brown ale...

Thanks. I've made Edwort's Apfelwein a few times and Graham's English Cider once now. Graham's cider ended up a little more sour than apfelwein, but both are refreshing. I think either sticking to those or trying a Graff is safer. This cider has more chocolate malt than my American Brown ale...

I haven't tried Graham's but I've done all the rest. Graff without the hops is now my go-to cider recipe. It's the one I like best. Not too dry not too sweet not too tart.

Back