Batch volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcguinness

Reaction score
Hi all,
I followed the recipe, and still something went wrong.
I reached the desired SG (1050) but within a small volume of beer (16.5L instead of 20L).
In that batch I used 2.5 kg of dry malt plus 1 kg of grains (that I extracted and put into the wort).
Can’t really figure what’s wrong in the process.:confused:
Is it o.k to add more water to the fermented beer?
Help is appreciated
cheers

If your 16.5l is at the expected SG I would leave it alone and not add water (boiled and cooled of course) to bring it up to 20l. IMHO it is better to have a little less of a good beer than more of a "watered down" beer.
What was the process you used on the grains?

i boiled the grains, and added the the extract to the wort.
i put the boiled grains i a cloth and squeesed some more extract to the wort.

Well, I'd leave the volume alone now that you're finished. Better to have it a little less volume than to be watered down.

For your next batch, I suggest not boiling grains. You can steep them for 15-20 minutes in 155 degree water and then removing them before bringing the "tea" you made up to a boil. Grains should never be boiled. A candy thermometer or an instant read themometer works great to check the temperature.

If you used crystal/caramel grains, 20 minutes is enough of a steep. If you are using 2-row or certain other grains, 45 minutes is more what you need.

What grains did you use in your recipe?

mcguinness said:
i boiled the grains, and added the the extract to the wort.
i put the boiled grains i a cloth and squeesed some more extract to the wort.

Are you sure the instructions called for boiling the grain? The usual process is to steep the grains at 155F for 20-60min.

first i want to thank you for your help.
second, i used the "tea" method, sorry if i wasn't clear about that.
i heated water to about 70C, but the grains absurbed so much water i couldn't just take them out, i had to pres them i order to extract them.
i used a mixture of crushed grains.
i promis not to add water, but i'm a bit disapointed to get a small batch, though it looks and smells good so far:)

Back