How full to fill a 1 Gallon growler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
I filled my first growler last night of some pail ale.

I was wondering one thing, I filled it and left a 1 inch space before liquid got to the top.

Is that enough? I used 6oz dextrose to prime for 6 gallons o' beer....

I just dont want anything exploding on me. :):ban:

Growler is 1 gallon BTW.

Papazian had an interesting theory on carbonation and headspace in his book. Off the cuff, I can't remember what the whole dealio was but he was mentioning that if you leave too much headspace there is more 'room' for overcarbonation to take place. Those growlers (at least the ones I have) are fairly hefty glass. I put a primed cider in it and it was fine. But to be on the safe side, I'd still follow fiddup's advice. If you are shooting for a fairly high amount of carbonation that is a good number for six gallons, assuming you are pretty much fully attenuated on your wort.

On my 1/2 Gal growlers I fill to the top & remove the bottling wand. Whatever space that leaves has worked well for me.

I also use the "pressure caps" like this (4th one down) as they'll handle the pressure no issue at all.

Back