Autumn Seasonal Beer Scary Balz Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick update for anyone who is crazy/careless enough to not drink the whole 5 gal of this stuff right away...Popped open a couple bottles from about a year ago that were in the closet and they were still really nice (not too much change from 4-5 months). Nice to see that they didn't mind the age though.

Hi,

Thanks for the recipe. I'm new to this and don't want to do a secondary fermentation. Can I add the vanilla when I add the spices at flame out? Should I also be using Irish moss 15 min before flame out?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the recipe. I'm new to this and don't want to do a secondary fermentation. Can I add the vanilla when I add the spices at flame out? Should I also be using Irish moss 15 min before flame out?

Thanks

If you bottle it, add the vanilla extract to your bottling bucket and siphon the beer on top of it. Then transfer to bottles.

If you keg it, add the vanilla extract to the keg, then siphon the beer on top of it.

Hello! Quick question. I am incredibly new to brewing (brewed two batches, both still in fermenters). Both of my previous brews have been extract. I stumbled across this recipe and would really love to give it a go within a couple of weeks so it will be ready late fall.

My question may show my ignorance but I need to ask. If I were to treat this as an extract recipe, what changes might I need to make? Could I just steep the grains before the boil as I would in any extract recipe? My understanding of partial extract recipes is that they typically have a base malt mash in a kettle, but this recipe does not seem to contain any base malt grains. Could I simply skip the mash/sparging and treat this as an extract? Thanks in advance.

Munich malt technically is a base malt. It needs to be mashed, and has enough diastatic power to convert itself. That is what makes this a mini mash recipe.

You can do the mash the same way you normally steep your grains. The only difference is you need to keep your temp in the 147-160 degree range, and let it sit for 45-60 minutes. You're using such a small amount of grain for fermentables that your temps do not need to be as precise as most mashes for body and mouthfeel. You just need to keep it in range for conversion to take place.

You don't really need the flaked barley in this. The crystal malt used in amber extract, along with the additional pound used in the mini mash, provides plenty of body to the beer. Also at this point I use one pound of canned pumpkin instead of going through all of the trouble of roasting fresh ones. I've noticed no difference whatsoever in flavor, so I don't bother going through the extra trouble.

Munich malt technically is a base malt. It needs to be mashed, and has enough diastatic power to convert itself. That is what makes this a mini mash recipe.

You can do the mash the same way you normally steep your grains. The only difference is you need to keep your temp in the 147-160 degree range, and let it sit for 45-60 minutes. You're using such a small amount of grain for fermentables that your temps do not need to be as precise as most mashes for body and mouthfeel. You just need to keep it in range for conversion to take place.

You don't really need the flaked barley in this. The crystal malt used in amber extract, along with the additional pound used in the mini mash, provides plenty of body to the beer. Also at this point I use one pound of canned pumpkin instead of going through all of the trouble of roasting fresh ones. I've noticed no difference whatsoever in flavor, so I don't bother going through the extra trouble.

Okay good deal, I appreciate the prompt reply. I think I am going to go ahead and use full pumpkins as my dad is growing pumpkins for the first time this year and is excited about the prospect of them being used in a beer. One more question, is the original recipe a partial or full boil? I can only do partial at this point and I need to know if adjusting for hop utilization is necessary.

Okay good deal, I appreciate the prompt reply. I think I am going to go ahead and use full pumpkins as my dad is growing pumpkins for the first time this year and is excited about the prospect of them being used in a beer. One more question, is the original recipe a partial or full boil? I can only do partial at this point and I need to know if adjusting for hop utilization is necessary.

I do partial boils. Add half the extract at the beginning of the boil, and the other half at flameout.

Brewed this up today. Had an OG of 1.052. Not sure how that happened. Hopefully a diluted sample but if not I think it will be a good beer nonetheless. I threw a bit more than a tbsp of Mccormicks pumpkin pie spice at flame out and it smells phenomenal.

Tried this today after 2 weeks in the bottles. In all honesty it's just okay to me but my inexperience could very well be the issue. I'm not entirely sure, but I think what I may be tasting is extremely green beer. It's got a flavor I can't put my finger on and a scent that smells off. The spice smell is masked by something else. Is this recipe typically a quick turn around or does it require a bit of aging?

Tried this today after 2 weeks in the bottles. In all honesty it's just okay to me but my inexperience could very well be the issue. I'm not entirely sure, but I think what I may be tasting is extremely green beer. It's got a flavor I can't put my finger on and a scent that smells off. The spice smell is masked by something else. Is this recipe typically a quick turn around or does it require a bit of aging?

How old is it? This beer needs at least 6 weeks.

How old is it? This beer needs at least 6 weeks.

It will be 6 weeks old Friday 10/25. In an odd turn of events, I tried another today and it tasted quite a bit better already, just after another 24 hours. I am going to indulge in it tonight because...well...it's Thursday. I have a pretty good feeling this will improve within the next week or two. Another issue could have been the amount of spices I used. I used pumpkin pie spice so it's a bit different from the original recipe.

How did you "rack over the vanilla?"

Also - would you mind adding at what times you added the ingredients to the boil? I have not brewed in a year and am a bit rusty on when to add ingredients to a boil.

Thanks!

How did you "rack over the vanilla?"

Also - would you mind adding at what times you added the ingredients to the boil? I have not brewed in a year and am a bit rusty on when to add ingredients to a boil.

Thanks!

Spices are added at flameout. When the boil is complete, turn off the heat, and stir them in.

As far as the vanilla goes, when you transfer the beer to a secondary fermenter, add the vanilla to the fermenter before siphoning in the beer. If you don't do a secondary, but keg your beer, do this in the keg. If you don't secondary, and bottle, do this in your bottling bucket.

Back