Grains left, what can I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampsn

Reaction score
Had these grains left over from last week and wondering if I could make anything from them. New at all this so not sure what it could make, they are all mixed together. Thanks.

1/3 lb. - CaraPils
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (120L)
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
1/4 lb. - Pale Chocolate Malt

humm maybe a red ale with a bit of that chocolate malt in it??? that sounds damn good actully... and im not a beer drinker... just a sugestion.

Cheers

A red would be good, or maybe a brown. Here is a recipe I whipped up for a brown using your grains:

Your grains + 6 lbs Light DME

1 oz Willamette 60 min
1 oz East Kent Golding 30 min
.5 oz Fuggle 10 min

Wyeast British Ale (1098) w/ 2000 ml starter

OG: 1.054
FG: 1.013
SRM: 20.4
IBU: 29.3 (less for partial boil, but would even out with late extract addition)
ABV: 5.2%

My $.02

Nice, thanks nukebrewer.

Edit: What do you mean by the late extract addition? I would be doing a smaller boil since I do it on my stove top in a 20 quart pot.

All a late extract addition is is you add half of the extract at the beginning of the boil, giving you a lower boil gravity which increases hop utilization. Then about 15 minutes before the end of the boil, add the rest of the extract to get the rest of the fermentables in. Late extract additions are particularly useful for partial boils since you'll need the increased utilization to hit your target IBUs. For example, the calculated IBUs of the recipe I gave you is 29.3, but since you'll be doing a partial boil (I'll assume 3 gallons), you'll be diluting that when you add the top off water. So your actual IBUs will only be 3/5 (60%) of the calculated. If you do the late extract addition , calculated IBUs goes up to 37.8 and 37.8 * .6 = 22.7, which is about where you want to be for this style, IMO. Browns shouldn't be too bitter, but the bitterness should be readily apparent. Sorry, I kinda rambled, but I hope that helps explain things a bit.

Great thanks, that makes sense. Only thing I didn't follow is where you got 37.8 IBUs.

Thanks for the help.

The 37.8 IBUs came from the higher hop utilization due to the lower boil gravity. Hop utilization is a function of boil time and boil gravity. The question, from How to Brew is:

U = (1.65 * .000125^(Gb-1))((1-e^(-.04 * T))/4.15)

Where Gb is boil gravity and T is time in minutes. If you crunch the numbers for each hop addition, you get:

U1 = (1.65 * .000125^(1.047-1))((1-e^(-.04 * 60))/4.15) = .237
U2 = (1.65 * .000125^(1.047-1))((1-e^(-.04 * 30))/4.15) = .182
U3 = (1.65 * .000125^(1.090-1))((1-e^(-.04 * 10))/4.15) = .058

The 60, 30 and 10 are the different hop addition times and the 1.047 and 1.090 are the boil gravities at the time of addition assuming a 3 gallon boil. Now plug those numbers into the IBU equation and add them up to get your total IBUs in the boil:

IBU = (AA * U * 74.86) / V

Where AA is the alpha acid percentage of the hops, U is the utilization we just calculated, V is the volume of the boil and 74.86 is a conversion factor to convert English units to metric. Typical AA for Willamette is 5.5%, EKG is 5% and Fuggles is 4.5%.

IBU1 = (5.5 * .237 * 74.86) / 3 = 32.5 IBU
IBU2 = (5 * .182 * 74.86) / 3 = 22.7 IBU
IBU3 = (4.5 * .058 * 74.86) / 3 = 6.5 IBU

IBU1 + IBU2 + IBU3 = 61.7

Now, since you'll be needing to add top off water, from 3 gallons to 5 gallons, you'll reduce your IBUs by that ratio.

3 / 5 = .6
61.7 * .6 = 37.0 final IBU

Wow, that number is pretty off from what BeerSmith says it will be, but the point of this wasn't to prove BeerSmith right or wrong. I just wanted to show you how to do it by hand so you understand where all the numbers come from and what's going on behind the scenes when a calculator calculates your IBUs. There's quite a bit of other math involved in brewing, but that's a different topic for a different day.

Whew, that was quite a bit of writing and number crunching. Anyone think I should put this on my blog, or is it common enough knowledge?

Best of luck on your brew! :mug:

There's quite a bit of other math involved in brewing, but that's a different topic for a different day.

Whew, that was quite a bit of writing and number crunching. Anyone think I should put this on my blog, or is it common enough knowledge?
:mug:

OMG my head hurts!! and I are an engineer no less. I am more of a seat of the pants brewer, no decimal points on IBU's, just fractions of ounces for hop additions. Wish I had the patience to be a more precise brewer, more than one way to rope a goat I guess.

humm maybe a red ale with a bit of that chocolate malt in it??? that sounds damn good actully... and im not a beer drinker... just a sugestion.

Your not a beer drinker? This seems a strange place for a non beer drinker to hang out.:confused:

Back