Brewing Rituals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once my beer is on the cool, I usually have a little sumpin-sumpin to remind myself of why I do this:
Sample1.jpg

Yeah, I used to go to the good beer store and pick out a lineup of new and interesting things to drink that night. Would usually crack one open as the strike water was heating...around brew 3 or 4, realized that this wasn't a good practice.

Now, when I'm on the last 5 minutes of the boil, Whirlfloc in, then I crack the first beer. I look at it now as a reward for my effort, good or bad.

Since I started not drinking, I have had much smoother brew days.

For brewing rituals I usually drink some beers that are of the same style of what I'm brewing, I also do the classic rock thing, and I can't have a successful brewday without sacrificing a virgin on the lid of my MLT:D

My old brew buddy (anyone remember Rewster?) and I had a sort of ritual. We would drink commercial beer during the beginning of a brew session. Only after the first hop addition would we crack open homebrews.

Crack a brew
Put comedy on tv.
Start sterilising a barrel and the other junk
Crack a brew
Crack a brew
Tidy my workbench of all the crap that has gathered since the last time
Crack a brew
Sweep the floor.
Crack a brew
Get all ingredients in one place
Carry up stairs to kitchen
Brew as fast as possible cleaning as I go
Carry wort down to cellar
Top up with water from garden hose
Put lid on

Crack a brew
Rest and wait until temp reached good for yeast pitching
Crack a brew
Attempt to reach fridge again after maybe a bit too long a *rest*
Crack a brew
Pitch Yeast
Go to bed / ezyboy recliner and sleep.

In the morning it is like Christmas going back to the cellar to see the magic begin. Depending on the number cracked the next before it is like a different place!!!

Typically fire up HBT and get caught up on stuff here since life seems a bit hectic over the last year. Since I exlusively brew on the weekends and in the morning to avoid the heat is having a hang-over more often than not a ritual :cross:?

This is more of a habit than a ritual, but I tend to do other brewing 'chores' while the boil is going. Things like racking off a yeast cake like I should have done days ago, get a starter for my next brew session going, etc. One time I did bottling AND a brew session at the same time. That was an interesting day, that is for sure.

EDIT: oop, hit post 2k, time to post in the fi#&(% _nocarrier_

Crack a brew
Put comedy on tv.
Start sterilising a barrel and the other junk
Crack a brew
Crack a brew
Tidy my workbench of all the crap that has gathered since the last time
Crack a brew
Sweep the floor.
Crack a brew
Get all ingredients in one place
Carry up stairs to kitchen
Brew as fast as possible cleaning as I go
Carry wort down to cellar
Top up with water from garden hose
Put lid on
Crack a brew
Rest and wait until temp reached good for yeast pitching
Crack a brew
Attempt to reach fridge again after maybe a bit too long a *rest*
Crack a brew
Pitch Yeast
Go to bed / ezyboy recliner and sleep.

Same here except double the crack a brew

- I usually have a lineup of interesting commercial brews or homebrews i've been aging a bit ready to go in the fridge.

- Throw on the radio for a healthy dose of ROCK.

- If there is Football, Basketball, or Baseball on tv, that is going on.

- Once I have all my ducks in a row, I sit and read through HBT to see whats going on. Maybe share my plans in the "Today I am brewing" thread.

I just fire up some music. I also don't usually have a beer until the boil is going. Sometimes, I'll have something easy-going during the mash. Even still, I won't have more than two or three the whole time I'm brewing. I just tend to be too busy cleaning, taking notes, messing around in the garden, sanitizing, or whatever.

TL

TexLaw said:
I also don't usually have a beer until the boil is going.

I usually make a rule about this myself. I found that everytime I started drinking during the mash, those were the times when i'd forget to take hydro samples at the end, or just not clean a thing etc etc.

I also have to carry my full carboys all the way to my garage which is not attached to the condo i live in. Ends up being about a block and a half walk up and down stairs :mad:

The last brew session that I drank on turned out bad. Forgot to put in the aroma hops. Dropped the hydrometer into the carboy. tryed fishing it out for about 20 min before I got it. and then didnt clean a damn thing. got home the next day to a apt that smelled like bad beer and yeast.
Now I just start drinking after the boil starts.

Not any more. When I first started brewing in California, brew day was an event: brewing, BBQ, music. Always had some Italian hots on the Weber. Brewing by myself these days, not as much fun.

I try to do something else useful while mashing and boiling. nash time is usually for cleaning the kitchen and / or preparing sanitizer etc. etc.

Boil time is for garage chores that keep me close to the kettle. usually, i clean and vacuum the cars.

I don't let myself crack beer open until the chiller goes in the kettle. Then I'll HAHB or whatever other good beer is floating around the fridge.

My ritual is to panick. haha only got on PM in so far. Don't quite have a system. Planning on waiting to do my next batch once I get a keggle so I can do an AG. Only piece I need still. But Homebrew is running out so I may need to throw another extract batch in in the mean-time.

*eidited for retard spelling*

I always brew on Sunday mornings and I order a pizza once the boil starts rolling. I don't think it needs to be said, but it also involves drinking beers of the same style that is being brewed.

Back