Need a Manny's Pale Ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(my first dry hopping experience, so sorry for the noob question). I looked up other "dry hopping techniques" and it seems like 1 month at cold temperature, while only 7-9 days if you keep the beer at room temp. is what others have shared as the "most ideal" dry hopping timeline.

should be fine. I didn't dry hop for long. Only a little less than 2 weeks I think. Took a little time in the bottle to condition though, so make sure you bottle well before your party...like now would be good.

I am one of those "cheater" kegger's... I exclusively dispense out of cornelius kegs making me not having to worry about cleaning 100's of bottles ;)

should be fine. I didn't dry hop for long. Only a little less than 2 weeks I think. Took a little time in the bottle to condition though, so make sure you bottle well before your party...like now would be good.

I've got a batch of your recipe fermenting right now. Did you dry hop after 4 days in the primary? This seems a bit early for racking but I admittedly haven't done much dry hopping. Also, I'm considering just adding the dry hops to the primary and resealing it. Any idea how that'd change the character of the beer?

no, I had this in the primary for about a week, then racked. You could add your hops to the primary and avoid a secondary all together, it's a cloudy beer anyway. The problem I have with that is it makes it a pain to harvest my yeast from the primary and I want to be able to use this yeast again.

no, I had this in the primary for about a week, then racked. You could add your hops to the primary and avoid a secondary all together, it's a cloudy beer anyway. The problem I have with that is it makes it a pain to harvest my yeast from the primary and I want to be able to use this yeast again.

Top crop. Just skim some yeast off during high krausen and store it in a jar with water. It keeps in the fridge for several weeks, if not longer, assuming you have sound sanitation methods. The point where you can top crop is before the point you would want to dry hop. If you do this you can reuse yeast and dry hop in the primary.

I am going to try a Manny’s clone in about 2 weeks, trying it as an experiment with 3 different methods of hopping (when it is done I will probably make a new thread about the hopping methodology). Each one will be brewed with the exact same malt profile and the same total amount of hops, but done differently. I am going to modify Mooseknuckle2000’s recipe a bit. He noted it was too light and not quite as sweet as the original. So I am going to up the crystal/carapils from 2 lbs per 5 gallons to 3 lbs per 7 gallons (only about 7.5% more crystal per gallon), and add some crystal 40 to up the color a bit.

The other problem is that my last batch that I designed as a hop bomb turned out with very modest hop flavor, so I have drastically increased the hops for my purposes. I never figured out why it had so little hop flavor.

Here is the Recipe

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 7.00 gal
Boil Size: 9.85 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 8.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 81.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.00 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (90 min) (First Wort HopHops 22.8 IBU
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 4.6 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
0.75 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
0.75 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops -
1 Pkgs Thames Valley Ale (Wyeast Labs #1275) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 12.50 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step Add 33.33 qt of water at 157.5 F 152.0 F

Version Differences:
Batch One: how I usually do my brewing. I will do the recipe as indicated above, but place all of the zero minute addition hops in a hopback, and run via gravity at whatever rate will make the beer after the CFC come out at 68 degrees, then pitch immediately. Typically I have to run it pretty slow to get the temperature down to 68 degrees, and it usually takes about 15-20 minutes.

Batch Two: As batch one, but the the zero minute additions will go into the pot and then I will use the CFC to recirculate until the wort reaches pitching temperature. I did a partial recirculation once and within a few minutes it was down to 140, so this will cool the wort very fast, I think.

Batch 3: The wild card. Other than the magnum, ALL hops will be added after flameout. At flameout, 2 oz will be added, then the wort will be rapidly cooled via recirculation to 180. It will sit covered for 40 minutes, then another 2 ounces will be added and it will sit at another 40 minutes, at which time it will run through the CFC to the fermentor and pitched. I read a paper once about using hops in the hop shortage and it mentioned 80 minute steeping hops as being an excellent way to get massive hop flavor.

I plan to start this in about a week and a half. If anyone has suggestions I would love to hear them prior to my beginning this experiment.

Klaus

I plan to start this in about a week and a half. If anyone has suggestions I would love to hear them prior to my beginning this experiment.

Can't wait to hear how it all turns out. My suggestion, if I may, would be to drastically reduce the crystal malt. You have 24% crystal malt in the beer. Going above 15% starts to make the beer cloying and out of balance. Perhaps mashing higher or messing with the bittering to OG ratio will help with the sweetness instead of raising the crystal. Manny's isn't sugar sweet like you'd get from lots of crystal malt, it's really drinkable. I think I had 5 pitchers myself last weekend :drunk:

Can't wait to hear how it all turns out. My suggestion, if I may, would be to drastically reduce the crystal malt. You have 24% crystal malt in the beer. Going above 15% starts to make the beer cloying and out of balance. Perhaps mashing higher or messing with the bittering to OG ratio will help with the sweetness instead of raising the crystal. Manny's isn't sugar sweet like you'd get from lots of crystal malt, it's really drinkable. I think I had 5 pitchers myself last weekend :drunk:

Yeah I was kind of wondering about the crystal, the only reason I went with that much was tasting notes from the recipe posted before. That one had 20.6% Crystal malts and the tasting notes noted that it was not as sweet as Manny's, so I thought that increasing the crystal might help. But I have to admit it is a damn large dose of crystal. Would you cut it down to about 10-15% and then just mash real high?

Klaus

Here are some pics...

Thanks again to Lisa at the Georgetown Brewery
IMG_2691.jpg

I LOVE these guys! I cannot believe how gracious this brewery is in supporting homebrewers. I got a similar growler of yeast a few days ago. The only question I have is this- is the top part active yeast and the bottom trub? Or is it all usable?

Klaus

the yeast I got was quite clean. I believe it was laid on it's side and separated a bit, but it was all useable. I was able to split into several starters....and yes, these guys rock!

+1 for Manny's! I love how I can go to even the most BMC bars around here and they still have Manny's on tap. I definitely have o try this one soon.

I just visited the brewery last week for a tour and filled up my three growlers with the IPA, pilsner, and of course Manny's. Excellent tour with plenty of beer provided and topped off with a free glass from the brewery. Easy access and parking at the brewery too. We grabbed dinner at Stellar Pizza around the corner and it made for a great day.

The Manny's is my favorite beer ever.

So, kshuler, how did it turn out ?

Don't really know yet. I just kegged it 2 days ago and I am waiting for it to carb. First impression of the non carbonated version (made from the dregs and still loaded with a bunch of suspended yeast) wasn't all that great, but not terrible. I'll let you know, though.

I made the three versions, but the only thing I have tasted so far was a mish mash of the three... about 50% batch 1, 35% batch 2 and 15% batch 3, but all were obtained trying to eek out every last drop and as such it is a fairly yeasty sample. I refrigerated it and tried to pull of as much yeast as possible but still had some in. Has a bit of a sour taste, not overly so, but definately noted, and has a very good cascade aroma. I'll keep you informed when I tap the kegs.

Klaus

I hav a slight update. My initial impression of the uncarbonated sample was way off base. I have batch 1 and 2 cooled, mostly carbonated and on tap, and theyare actually quite nice, but with a more subdued hoppiness than I was wishing. It isn't absent, its just not overwhelming. Actually seems fairly balanced. Last night I pulled batch 2 from the kegerator and swapped in batch 3.

Batch 1, which used a hopback was virtually indistinguishable from batch 2, which did a rapid recirculation and cooled the entire batch to less than 140 in less than 2 minutes. I just pulled a sample of batch 3, which is not even slightly carbonated, and it is by far different from the other 2 batches. It is a bit more bitter, but has significantly more hop flavor than the other two even though it had the same amount of hops.

I'll make a better update when it is carbed, and I am thinking of having some friends over in a month or so for a blind taste test of the three to see if I can get some other opinions. So far, though, it appears that saving hops for whirlpool only hopping may be a better way to extract FLAVOR of hops as compared to late additions during the boil.

Klaus

Yes, sorry for the lack of updates. The Manny's clone was good, but not quite like Mannys. I will talk about the 1st batch, which was closest. There is a fruitiness that i think wasn't present in the actual manny's, and it sort of surprised me as I WAY overpitched the batch. Usually this should decrease the amount of esters produced. It was just not as clean as Mannys. I do have to say that I screwed up the mash and when it was too low, I added heat and then way overshot my target. But even with that and 15% crystal, it was not a terribly sweet beer- in this way it tasted about right. Was very nicely balanced, had a great hoppy aroma, BUT, even with so much hops in the 20 minute to 0 minute stages, it had remarkably little hop flavor. The beer was also close to the color, but not quite as dark as Manny's despite my increasing the crystal to 15% over the suggested recipe. It was a very enjoyable brew, but definitely not a clone. I will have to try again after a few other brews. But it has taken me months to get through he 4 kegs (3 of each and one with the leftovers of all three batches mixed together), and I still have the last little bit on tap right now. 18 gallons of beer takes a long time to drink at 1-2 beers per night, especially when it is not the only thing on tap!

Klaus

I'm reviving this thread. I concocted a recipe using the brewery website as well as a few posts on here to make this:

Manny's Clone
American Pale Ale
Type: All Grain Date: 4/2/2012
Batch Size: 5.00 gal Brewer: Kyle M
Boil Size: 5.72 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 87.80 %
0.75 lb Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.32 %
0.50 lb Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 24.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.75 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 11.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
0.50 tsp Amylase Enzyme (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.0 tsp
1 pack Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days)
Wyeast 1275 – Thames Valley Misc

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.34 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 37.9 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 7.1 SRM Color:
Color

Mash Profile
Mash Name: My Mash Total Grain Weight: 10.25 lb
Sparge Water: 3.11 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash Add 15.38 qt of water at 165.1 F 155.0 F

I like using irish moss or whirfloc with the boil. However, this is obviously not going to filter the beer. So it'll still be cloudy. I'll either use the Thames Valley yeast or head down to the brewery and see if I can get a little bit. How much used yeast would you say I'd need to replace a pack of yeast (100 million)?

I don't really know how much is needed to replace 1 pack. I just asked them to fill a growler with yeast and that's exactly what I got. I made sure it was all in solution and just poured "some" into each of my 3 fermentors when I did it. All three of them were making bubbles within about an hour, so I likely added too much. I probably used about a pint of the slurry on each of the fermentors, but this is a guess.

I haven't had time to read this whole thread, but can someone summarize if there was an extract recipe created that accurately clones Manny's? This is a beer that I really enjoy and would love to try my hand at.

mendozer, Did you ever brew this? Has anyone else tried to clone this beer?

We need to get this one close. I'm about to go down there and buy a keg. haha

yeah i did make that to the T and it's pretty good. Not too much bite and the color is just right.

Bringing this back from the dead. After reading most of these posts and seeing the resulting beers, it seemed like color was always a little on the light side. Most all of the clone recipes use 20L or 40L I know Georgetown doesn't say which Crystal malt they use, and instead of asking which they used, I instead made a guess and asked if I was right. I was right! I also asked about the Magnum/Summit change. Here's the response I got:

Hi Jon,

You are correct - we do use C-60 in Manny's.
As far as Magnum goes, we did use it originally. Then there was a time when Magnum was really hard to get, so we switched to Columbus. Columbus wasn't really working though, so we switched again to Summit. When Magnum became more readily available, the brewers decided they preferred Summit to Magnum and it has been Summit ever since.

Good luck with your brew!

Ingrid

I brewed my version of this last month. I don't have access to Summit, so I used Magnum. I believe I came pretty dang close, now I just need to grab a growler of Manny's to do a side by side comparison. I'll post again with some pics once I do that, hopefully next week. Here's the recipe I used. Note: IBUs are off by a little bit, you can adjust hop schedule as necessary to get your recipe to the 38IBUs that Manny's is at.

Recipe Specifications
Boil Size: 6.97 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 9.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 43.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 71.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 71.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 83.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.3 %
12.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.0 %
1.00 oz Magnum [11.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 38.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 4.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 6 0.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg Thames Valley Ale (Wyeast Labs #1275) [1 Yeast 7 -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 12.0 oz
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 12.00 qt of water at 163.1 F 150.0 F 60 min

I tried Brewtopias recipe, I would increase the 2 row by .5 lbs and change the magnum hops to Summit Per Georetowns website. Also says to use English ale yeast, but hen refers to British, going to use the White Labs WLP002 next time. My $.02 :mug:

I made this the other year, turned out very good.

Batch 10 gallons.

18 lb 2-row
1.5 lb crystal 40
1 lb carapils
Mashed for an hour at ratio of 1.5qt/lb

1 oz Magnum 14% for 60 min
1.5 oz Cascade 5.5% for 30
.5 oz cascade 5.5% for 15

Used Thames Valley Ale (Wyeast 1275) as a recommendation from Georgetown Brewing.

Dry hopped .5 oz cascade in keg

OG was 1.067 FG was 1.012

Was GOOOOD. And I drink a lot of Manny's here in Seattle so I know what it tastes like.

Bringing this back from the dead. After reading most of these posts and seeing the resulting beers, it seemed like color was always a little on the light side. Most all of the clone recipes use 20L or 40L I know Georgetown doesn't say which Crystal malt they use, and instead of asking which they used, I instead made a guess and asked if I was right. I was right! I also asked about the Magnum/Summit change. Here's the response I got:

I brewed my version of this last month. I don't have access to Summit, so I used Magnum. I believe I came pretty dang close, now I just need to grab a growler of Manny's to do a side by side comparison. I'll post again with some pics once I do that, hopefully next week. Here's the recipe I used. Note: IBUs are off by a little bit, you can adjust hop schedule as necessary to get your recipe to the 38IBUs that Manny's is at.

Recipe Specifications
Boil Size: 6.97 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 9.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 43.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 71.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 71.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 83.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.3 %
12.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.0 %
1.00 oz Magnum [11.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 38.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 4.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 6 0.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg Thames Valley Ale (Wyeast Labs #1275) [1 Yeast 7 -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 12.0 oz
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 12.00 qt of water at 163.1 F 150.0 F 60 min
Reviving this old thread, but how did this come out? Since you have access to the original, how close was it?

Our recipes are so close.

----
9.25 Kg Pale 2-row
0.5 Kg Carapils
1.0 Kg Caramel Malt - 60L

0.8 oz Summit (Hop Union) [17.5%] - Boil 60 min
1.0 oz Cascade (Hop Union) [5.5%] - Boil 15 min
2.0 oz Cascade (Hop Union) [5.5%] - Boil 5 min
2.0 oz Cascade (Hop Union) [5.5%] - Dry Hop 7 days

1 pkg Thames Valley Ale (Wyeast Labs #1275) w/ Starter

Mash at 152F. Mash out at 168F. This recipe is based upon 65% efficiency and batch sparging, 51L pre-boil and 42L to the fermenter - adjust for your own brewery. 65F ferment with diacetyl rest at 70F for last 2 points of gravity. Dry hop in secondary at 70F and age cold in keg for 2-3 weeks before tapping.
----

The website now posts the details. For what it's worth,

Malts - 2 Row Pale, Caramel
Hops - Summit, Cascade
Yeast - English Ale
OG - 1.051
TG - 1.009
ABV - 5.4%
IBU - 38

The website now posts the details. For what it's worth,

Malts - 2 Row Pale, Caramel
Hops - Summit, Cascade
Yeast - English Ale
OG - 1.051
TG - 1.009
ABV - 5.4%
IBU - 38

Interesting on the yeast. The brewer at Georgetown told me to use thames valley as its the closest to what they use. "Almost basically the same" is what he said. Wyeast makes the yeast for them

Interesting on the yeast. The brewer at Georgetown told me to use thames valley as its the closest to what they use. "Almost basically the same" is what he said. Wyeast makes the yeast for them

Yeah. Thames Valley fits perfectly to get their profile and TG. Specs have changed over the years the way they report it. TG in the 1.009-1.011 range. I can't help but wonder if they've lowered it to boost the hop profile in light of changing tastebuds in hopland.

true. Everyone around here loves shoving more hoppiness down their gullets. I don't get it. I feel like the only Seattleite who despises IPAs. *gasp*

true. Everyone around here loves shoving more hoppiness down their gullets. I don't get it. I feel like the only Seattleite who despises IPAs. *gasp*

I can equally appreciate the hops though. Just north of you there's a beer from Vancouver BC called Boombox, eh. So hoppy and so delicious. Quite a few of the NEIPA style coming out of that area are stellar. At the same time the thing I can equally appreciate is a well-balanced beer like Manny's. Mac & Jack's is another timeless beer. Moylan's ESB from CA is another.

Back