Using beer smith to calculate mash efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheH2

Reaction score
I must be retarded isn't Beer Smith supposed to make it easy?

First off, I did a partial mash which I believe is the problem. After my mash I had a hydrometer reading (adjusted for temp using Beer Smith) of 1.056. I just input my gravity reading and the volume and Beer Smith is saying that my efficiency into boiler - which I'm assuming is mash efficiency - is 10.81%. I think the problem is that it is calculating the estimated OG including DME. It is saying my gravity reading should be 1.089 with 2.75 gallons runoff. Aside: actually had additional runoff of just under 2 quarts which was in a separate brew pot. To get the most accurate number I'm sure I would have had to taken the gravity reading of both combined.

My OG after the boil and top off water was 1.055. My target was 1.049 assuming 70% efficiency. By plugging numbers into Beer Smith this implies an 88% brewhouse efficiency - my hydrometer must be off, but lets assume it isn't. I only used 3lb of DME so I obviously got decent efficiency from the mash regardless of how off my hydrometer is. So the 10.81% is definitely wrong.

Also, how does Beer Smith calculate the gravity from DME? I'm assuming Beer Smith assumes you get full efficiency from the extract and not apply the brew house efficiency which I input (70%).

All in all this is a huge improvement over my last brew, target 1.048, actual OG 1.044. I did a lot of things different based on what I read on this board, so thanks all for discussing batch sparging with a 5 gallon converted cooler. :mug:

Back