Cheese salt ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What the heck is cheese salt? It's obviously not table salt, right??

My beginner kit didn't include it, yet somehow it's required (not happy with the person that sold it to me).

What is cheese salt? I asked some people, and nobody knows about any special salt needed to salt the cheese. Help!?! I want to do this today and not wait for another internet order to come.

Kosher is exactly the same as far as I can tell, I think any non iodized salt would be fine.

jezter6 said:
What is "ionized"?

I bought some expensive ass salt from an organic health food store, has 0.002% iodine in it.\

This stuff: the big thing in the center "All natural sea salt"
http://www.realsalt.com/?gclid=CMKcsIXs7JECFQKAHgodgkueqg

Is that good enough?

Every thing I have read always stressed the non-iodized

Salt
Coarse, non-iodized cheese salt draws moisture from curd, hastens aging and imparts considerable flavor. Iodized salts won’t do; iodine inhibits starter growth and slows the aging process. Non-iodized pickling and crystal kosher salts work well if you can find them.

Oh well, another trip to the store. :p

I may, once I get a few under my belt, try this organic stuff to see if it does it, otherwise non-iodized kosher will be my salt of choice.

Latest posts

Back