Why's my yeast bottom fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomonners

Reaction score
I pitched my yeast 3 days ago, its a whitelabs 005 British ale yeast (brand new 1st Generation within its best before date) into a hobgoblin kindathing. I made a decent starter, there was no krausen on the top tho but it was definately goin. After I pitched it, it never really looked like it was going so I just took a reading from it and its down to 1.026 from 1.054, but theres no krausen and you can see the yeast gurgleing away at the bottom of my fermenter. I was sure this yeast was a top fermentor? :confused::confused::confused:

Anyone got any ideas????

Thanks

Some yeasts produce huge krausens, while some appear to exhibit none at all.

Although Ale and Lager yeast are referred to as top and bottom fermenting. Ale usually has a sizable yeast cake in the bottom of the fermenter during fermentation. The yeast in Ale fermentation is suspended by convection and bubbling from the cake into the wort and krausen. Sometimes there is no krausen but as long as the gravity drops fermentation is proceeding as usual.

Back