Al Screen False Bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shek

Reaction score
I'm in the process of upgrading from a 5 gal rubbermaid bev cooler MLT with a ss braid to a square 10 gallon igloo cooler and I've been thinking of going to a false bottom but hopefully on the cheap. Has anyone ever tried to make a false bottom using a metal screen? I currently have some aluminum screen and was thinking of making something like a drum head using pipe that would cover the entire bottom of my cooler. Obviously, I would need to take care that the edges of the "drum" would have little to no gap with the cooler walls. For a 14"x14" area, the screen might not be strong enough in the middle so I might just add a support 4"x4" ish square or circle of pipe to support the screen in the middle. Is this within the realm of sanity? And does it sound like it could get me a cheap but effective false bottom without the DIY hassle of drilling billions of holes? I'd still need to add a bulkhead because for some reason this cooler doesn't have a spigot (although it has a notch on the inside and outside as if one was supposed to be installed).

I tried using a aluminum window screen overlay on a Sabco false bottom to aid in pellet hop filtering.

It worked well enough but, was PITA to clean and promoted rust.

Gila,
Thanks for the reply. It seems like dissolved hop pellets would make a much tougher to clean mess than crushed grain. Don't hop pellets break up into much finer particles than crushed grain? At least it always seems harder to clean the water line from my kettle after a boil than to clean my MLT. I'm still not sure if I'm going to give this a whirl, but I would think as long as I can clean it in a reasonable time it shouldn't be too hard. I think I may try this unless someone really talks me out of it in the next couple days. Was hoping for someone to jump in and tell me they've been there and have the t-shirt.

The washing machine braid...or better yet the hot water heater braid are pretty beefy, and still only like 12 bucks. You could aslo possibly roll up the screen sort of like a bazooka tube???

I already have a 5 gallon MLT with a SS braid manifold. Trying to get a 10 gallon square cooler going as an MLT. I'd kind of like to keep the SS braid with the 5G and probably donate it to someone else. Was wandering if a metal screen could be adapted to be used as a false bottom if it was taught enough and had enough support.

:mug:Yea I hear ya Shek, I too have some screening laying about and have had similiar thoughts about using it in some fashion to lauter...I'm sure you could do it, but for me I feel there are better alternatives. Good luck if you persue the project.:mug:

What is the dia. of the cooler. I might be able to help you out w/ stainless false bottom. I have sold a few here on HBT.
PM if you like.
Cheers
Jay

Back