Question about going to a secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducky

Reaction score
My beer has finally settled down (after almost 3 weeks). Gravity readings are staying the same, no activity in the air lock. Some of you have told me to not secondary, is there any reason why? I dont care about how much work it is. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to leaving the beer sitting in the hops, grains that I couldnt get out, and yeast? I feel like the beer would do better aging for a couple weeks in the secondary without all of that trub.

there's about 10,000 threads on here (at lest 2 a day) discussing why many of us choose to not secondary and opt for 3-4 weeks in primary, and why other's choose to....if you search for "long Primary" or "No secondary" and especially if you do an advanced search for those words and posts by me, you will get plenty of hits.

If you've gone three weeks there's really no reason to rack to a secondary...you could bottle now, or do like many of us and wait one more week, and bottle after a month....but for the specifics of WHY, you will find a ton of great info on it...

:mug:

I like to secondary for the same reasons, getting my beer off the trub (and freeing up fermenters), and I feel I get a clearer beer by going to secondary, though I have seen some crystal clear beers in pics from HBT members, so my reasons probably arent totally valid for anyone else. Some people feel racking to secondary is making another avenue for infection to take hold, but if you are reasonably clean, it isn't easy to contaminate a beer that has already fermented.

Do it however you like, you will most likely be fine.

Back