Sprouts everywhere

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagg

Reaction score
What is the general rule on all the sprouts? I know Im supposed to train 2 or 3 vines up the vertical, but what about all the other dozen or so sprouts coming up, should they be cut off at the ground? I think thats what I read somewhere, but some reassurance would be nice before I start hacking away, thanks.These are second year plants

Wait until you have a couple bines that are 2-3 feet long, then cut the rest off at the ground. You will probably have a few more shoots come up, cut those also.

Are these first year hops? If so, I would probably let all bines grow. This might help out with the root system to develop....IMO;)

Let 'em for a week or so then pick out the four most vigorous vines. Cut everything else off at the ground. This concentrates all of the energy from the roots to a few vines rather than dividing it up for many. When they get a foot tall, run two pieces of twine up from each mound, start training two vines on each string and get out of the way. They'll grow more than six inches a day once the root system is established.

Tom

Back