medicinal Duvel taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad451

Reaction score
Does anyone know what accounts for that slightly medicinal taste in a Duvel? Are those alcohols?

Could be a number of things... Duvel is my favorite beer and can't say that I have tasted a medicinal taste. My taste buds may be different than yours though... Here's a quote from the BJCP Guidelines regarding this type of beer:

"Flavor: Complex with significant fruity esters, moderate spiciness and low to moderate alcohol and hop aromas. Esters are reminiscent of lighter fruits such as pears, oranges or apples. Moderate spicy, peppery phenols. A lot to moderate yet distinctive perfumy, floral hop character is often present. Alcohols are soft, spicy, perfumy and low-to-moderate in intensity. No hot alcohol or solventy aromas. The malt character is light. No diacetyl."

The medicinal flavors you are tasting may be coming from the phenols, esters, or even the alcohol. Just thought this would help kinda narrow it down for you.

I really like Duvel also and never detected a medicinal taste. Perhaps it is the phenols or simply the alcohol you detect? I'm always thinking pears...that crazy Belgian yeast! :)

Does anyone know what accounts for that slightly medicinal taste in a Duvel? Are those alcohols?

That would be phenolic compounds produced during fermentation by the yeast. They are typical in many Belgian ales although the amounts present will vary greatly from beer to beer.

Disclaimer: I have zero tolerance for phenols and even the most minuscule amount renders a beer undrinkable to me.

That would be phenolic compounds produced during fermentation by the yeast. They are typical in many Belgian ales although the amounts present will vary greatly from beer to beer.

Disclaimer: I have zero tolerance for phenols and even the most minuscule amount renders a beer undrinkable to me.

Hmmm. Maybe I too have a low tolerance for them. Neither my wife nor any of my drinking buddies can make out the same medicinal taste that I get. Thanks for the replies

Back