watery/thin flavor before bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elchico04

Reaction score
I am brewing a wheat ale for my first batch and it's done fermenting. I tasted the beer when taking a sample and it tastes a little sweet and watery.

This this normal and will it fix itself after bottling?

Hard to tell without more info, Is this an extract or all grain brew? What are the ingredients?

perfectly normal (I remember my first brew was this way and i was a little worried) and then once it carbs & ages/conditions it will improve dramatically.

Do not fear, proper carbonation is what makes a beer really "pop". It is perfectly normal for a beer to be harsh, watery, or syrupy, depending, if it is not carbonated properly, whether too much or too little. Brewstrong did a good podcast on it, available on their website.

I feel like I'm plugging that podcast in every other post these days, geez.

my very first batch was a wheat and I had the same experience, little bit watery and light. In hindsight, I realized that I did not use enough malt extract. My gf really liked it, but it was too light for me. Still a very successful first batch though.

I agreee. My first batch was a wheat as well. Tried it about 2 weeks after bottling and found that it still tasted quite "green" compared with what I was looking for. Let the beer age for at least three weeks before busting off the caps on the first bottles. Try to keep it at 70F for those three weeks and then cool in the fridge for at least 2 days before drinking. In the meantime, get started with your second batch while you're waiting! :mug:

Back